Mar 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I'm a second year DO student hoping to study for COMLEX Jan-July with classes going on during Jan-late May then full time board prep June and July with the target date of late July.

I kind of feel overwhelmed with the amount of resources and don't know where to start...I have First Aid 2013, Kaplan COMLEX books and Kaplan QBank. I will be buying another QBank in May to use during June-July and should I buy any more books? I have heard Pathoma is good...I have the book but not the videos.

Any advice on where to start and what/how to study with classes going on from Jan-May? Also what other books/QBanks should I buy in the spring?

NeuroLAX

Discere faciendo
Apr 17, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I would recommend getting the Pathoma videos. Best money I've spent so far in medical school. I would take a look at the numerous threads on board prep books before committing a lot of money to purchasing any of them. Most of the books I've purchased are for subjects I don't feel as comfortable with, like anatomy and micro.

I'm taking both COMLEX and USMLE, so I've spent quite a bit of money on qbanks. I'm using USMLE Rx to help review First Aid, but I'm going to pick up UWorld a few months before I take the USMLE. I don't know what qbank you'll be using for COMLEX, but I've heard good/better things about COMBANK. I'll be doing that closer to when I take COMLEX.

Good luck with your studies! I know you've expressed feelings of stress. Stay strong!

OP
F
Mar 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Good luck to you as well! I heard after next semester and step 1, rotations get a lot better:)

OP
F
Mar 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
There's like no time to study with 20 hours of lectures to study from the week.....how can students study for classes going on and boards?!!

BigSib

Rural Family Dr
5+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2013
Status
Attending Physician
... Any advice on where to start and what/how to study with classes going on from Jan-May? Also what other books/QBanks should I buy in the spring?
There's plenty of threads on this around, but you should definitely invest in a COMLEX-specific bank. I felt it was pretty obvious that both COMBANK and COMQUEST were superior to Kaplan's COMLEX bank, so I would check that out. In general, it's imperative that you focus on your worst subject/class first. If that happens to be Pathology then Pathoma would be excellent.