Comlex/usmle advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akamu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am coming to the "4-month mark"- have to take my COMLEX Step I by June 29th. I have done really well in medical school so far, but when I look over FA and KAPLAN review books, there are a lot of things I don't have 100% down anymore, and some things I don't think I have ever seen. I've been told this is normal, but I am wondering about the most effective study technique's for step I? I used to teach the MCAT, and I know the best way to 'beat the test' there is to do Q's over and over. I am planning on doing the same for boards, using the Uworld and Kaplan Qbanks in conjunction with literally trying to Know FA cover to cover. Is this a valid plan of attack? I'm sure the demoralizing failure of the first few weeks of questions should teach me something, and i will probably try to get Goljan audio this week, but I don't think I can effectively handle too many more resources then the Q-banks, FA/Kaplan and the occasional clarification from review books that my school got for us (kaplan).

I plan on starting to do Q-bank stuff in about two weeks when Heme is over, ( but i'll probably only get ~ 1.5 days a week to do this). In addition, we are done with classes on the 8th or 13th of MAY- leaving roughly 5-6 weeks of nothing else to do- does that seem like enough time to effectively study for boards, or would I be screwed if that was all we had?

I appreciate any advice from those who have experienced jumping through this hoop!

BTW;
We continue to have rotations that we have been in all year (until May), and I still have to finish Heme, Mind, and one more course in second year...... not yet sure about whether or not to take both the COMLEX and USMLE.

Members don't see this ad.

You may want to check out the 2008 and 2009 USMLE/COMLEX threads on the forum... You will find hundreds of postings that will likely answer most, if not all, of your questions.

The only reason I mention this is it will likely save you a lot of time waiting for posts in this thread.

Good luck on the step(s)