COMLEX / USMLE back to back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2001bmw330xi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have my COMLEX and USMLE scheduled for 6 days apart. I was talking to a fellow DO 2012 student today who told me he re-scheduled his two tests so that they are one day after the other.

At first I thought to myself, "is this guy crazy?". But the more I heard him talk about it - the better and better it sounded.

What do you guys think? I can think of more Pros than Cons..

Pros:
-Won't forget information between the two test dates (won't have to go back and "refresh" as much). You might be really primed for the second day, especially if the first day felt okay.
-Maximizes his study time now before both tests rather than potentially do worse on whichever one he was scheduled to take first.
-Staying in "test mode" and just taking the second day like a "part 2" of the same test ... or sort of like "finals week" that we're all accustomed to.

Cons:
-Mentally, it could be overwhelming to do two 8 hour tests back to back - the second day may not go as well if the mind is fatigued.
-??

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW I am taking mine exactly a week apart and will be using that time to rest, refresh, cram OMM. There is nothing less fun that I can think of right now is taking them back to back without at least a day in between.

FWIW, I have my COMLEX schedule two days after my USMLE, during which I plan on just going through OMM. I don't think I could muster taking the COMLEX immediately after the USMLE, but that's just my opinion.

It seems like most SDNers (even when they get 240+) say they walk out of their test wondering if they even passed. I can't imagine taking another test the next day feeling so deflated from the first.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmmm... interesting. I guess I won't change it.

FWIW I'm actually doing COMLEX first and then "forgetting" OMM rather than cram it in between the two.

Took mine 3 days apart, did nothing day after USMLE, COMSAE the next day, OMM and practice questions the next and then COMLEX. No way I could have put them any further apart, I am so glad I had them that close together.

USMLE tomorrow and COMLEX June 7th. I CAN'T WAIT until its all over. In fact, I wish they were closer together.