COMLEX/USMLE Passing Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabbagesnk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the expected passing scores for COMLEX and USMLE for USMLE in 2006?
What was the passing score in 2005?

I heard that the passing score for COMLEX went up to 60% last year from 50% a two years ago.

Members don't see this ad.

COMLEX:
The minimal passing 3-digit standard score for Level 1 and Level 2 (CE) is 400.
The mean 3-digit standard scores of all three written examinations are 500, regardless of when the examinations are given. For Level 1 examinations given between 1998 and 2001, the standard deviation is 71; from 2002 to October 2005, the standard deviation is 79.

http://www.nbome.org/

check score interpretation.

USMLE
The USMLE program recommends a minimum passing score for each Step. Currently, the passing scores as set by the USMLE program are 182 for Step 1, 182 for Step 2 CK and 184 for Step 3 on the 3-digit scale, or 75 on the 2-digit scale. Each of these corresponds to answering 60-70% of the items correctly. Performance standards for USMLE are based on a specified level of proficiency. As a result, no predetermined percentage of examinees will pass or fail the examination. The passing scores are reviewed periodically and may be adjusted without notice prior to score reporting.

The 2-digit score is not a percentile.The 2-digit score is derived from the 3-digit score. It is used in score reporting to meet requirements of some medical licensing authorities that the passing score be reported as 75. The 2-digit score is derived in such a way that a score of 75 always corresponds to the minimum passing score.

http://www.usmle.org/FAQs/faqusmlescores.htm

I don't know what the passing rate is for COMLEX Step 1 for 2006, but I do know it isn't 400 like our friend from Touro said. The new exam only has 400 questions.

Undecided1 said:
I don't know what the passing rate is for COMLEX Step 1 for 2006, but I do know it isn't 400 like our friend from Touro said. The new exam only has 400 questions.

Like Dr. Mom said, it's scaled. Additionally, I included the direct links to the NBOME and NBME from which I took that information. I reported score interpretations not the pass rate. Please read carefully and check the actual sources if you don't believe me.