Comments on new injection book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Louisville04

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a new book out called The Handbook of C-Arm Fluoroscopy-Guided Spinal Injections by Linda Hong Wang MD PhD. It is $150. I would appreciate any comments from people who have reviewed/read this book.

Here is the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...103-7453695-5768630?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Members don't see this ad.

Louisville04 said:
There is a new book out called The Handbook of C-Arm Fluoroscopy-Guided Spinal Injections by Linda Hong Wang MD PhD. It is $150. I would appreciate any comments from people who have reviewed/read this book.

Here is the link on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...103-7453695-5768630?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

I bought this book after seeing your post. It is a basic book for interventional procedures. Good book for residents getting into fellowship training. Good illustrations and photographs. Overpriced.
Rating: ***

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anything this book offers that is not already in Fenton or Waldman or Rathmell?

Is it more portable?

mehul_25 said:
Is there anything this book offers that is not already in Fenton or Waldman or Rathmell?

Is it more portable?

This book is hard copy with 260 pages. It is not fair to compare this book with Waldman and Fenton. This book is a very basic book which helps in orientation of fluroscopy, needle direction and radiographic anatomy using pictures and photographs. This book is very reader friendly. Fenton is an interventional radiologist and his approach is slightly different. His book is not reader friendly. I love Waldman book. This book author is an anesthesiologist who used her compilation of notes and fluroscopy pictures during her training to write this book. This book is portable if you have a GIANT pocket in your labcoat or scrubs. This book definitely provides something which is not in Fenton and Waldman. I wish i had this book during my fellowship.

I use to always think pros and cons before buying any book during my medical school and residency. not anymore. I never hesitated before to buy a new pair of designer jeans or shoes spending $$. But, always thought twice or thrice before spending $$ for books. My ideas have changed in recent times. I really think buying books and going for conferences is like an investment in your career. I have so many books in my small library, some of them are still virgins. because of lack of time to indulge. Now, i think several times before buying a pair of jeans and finally dont buy it. I guess, it is a sign of maturity and aging. ;)
If you are interested in non-pain books....you should read this one by Thomas Friedman .."The World is Flat". amazing book. I haven't finished this book yet.

It is interesting how that happens. Thanks for the info about the book.

ISIS guidlines - get a member to buy it for you since there is a big cost savings if you do

by the way, I believe they might have recently changed the membership fee for residents/fellows to $50. Definitely a great deal as you get the ISIS guidelines for $75 versus $225. Also get considerable savings on conferences and save up to $800 for injection workshops.

Has anybody else been able to peruse The Handbook of C-Arm Fluoroscopy-Guided Spinal Injections by Linda Hong Wang MD PhD? comments?

Rathmell has some overt mistakes in their needle placement. I casually glanced through it during a recent conference and found two errors in two minutes. It could have been simply chance discovery, but you may well want to invest in another injection text along with Rathmell to compare approaches. Also, the fluoroscopic images throughout Rathmell are of quite poor quality.

Louisville04 said:

I purchased the book through amazon and returned it in 3 days. Its an easy read, however it is too basic. It is probably a good entry level book when you do your first pain rotation as a resident. As a fellow, the book just doesn't do it for me. I also have the rathmill book which I think its not too bad as well as the benzon book.

Overall, the book is weak, Save your mula.