Comments on School List?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johncalvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.6
MCAT: 38

ECs: ~100 hours ER Volunteer; 2 years of Lab Research; some shadowing; some unique ECs

Tentative List (want to stay in northeast-mid Atlantic; except for Mayo)

UMDNJ-RWJS
UMDNJ-NJMS
SUNY-Downstate
Albany Medical College
Albert Einstein (Yeshiva)
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
G.W.
Georgetown
Columbia
Cornell
UPenn
Yale
Mayo

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Good job on the MCAT...very nice verbal score!

I think your list looks good, but I'm more familiar with the schools in the South. A northeastern expert might be able to comment with more eloquence. But, I see some schools from each 'tier' there, and you don't look too top heavy. Have you already submitted? I guess another school that might fit your regional desires would be Wake Forest. Emory is another possibility, if you're interested in coming that far south. I believe SUNY-Upstate does take some OOS as well.

Your weakness (aside from no official leadership) appears to be clinical exposure, as you didn't comment as to the quality/quantity of your shadowing. Also, pubs are a bonus to go along with your research...good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good job on the MCAT...very nice verbal score!

I think your list looks good, but I'm more familiar with the schools in the South. A northeastern expert might be able to comment with more eloquence. But, I see some schools from each 'tier' there, and you don't look too top heavy. Have you already submitted? I guess another school that might fit your regional desires would be Wake Forest. Emory is another possibility, if you're interested in coming that far south. I believe SUNY-Upstate does take some OOS as well.

Your weakness (aside from no official leadership) appears to be clinical exposure, as you didn't comment as to the quality/quantity of your shadowing. Also, pubs are a bonus to go along with your research...good luck!

Thanks for the input! I will most likely add SUNY-Upstate. As for Wake Forest/Emory--those are too far away from home for my personal liking. Even Duke couldn't tempt me to apply...

As for clinical exposure, I have shadowed 3 doctors (8-10 hours each). I don't think I'll be getting any publication out (anaerobic microbiology lab--takes months for cultures to double sometimes, let alone get data for publication!) However, I will be doing an undergraduate thesis project based on my research, and presenting it at American Society for Microbiology (ASM) next spring.

Again, thanks for the input. Anyone else have any opinions?

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.65
MCAT: 38 [PS 11 / VR 13 / BS 14]

Large, state University
Residency: NJ

ECs: ~100 hours ER Volunteer; 2 years of Lab Research; some shadowing; some unique ECs, but no clubs or official leadership

UMDNJ-RWJS
UMDNJ-NJMS
SUNY-Downstate
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
G.W.
Georgetown
Columbia
Cornell
UPenn
Yale
Mayo

I think I teased you in the Verification thread a while back lol.

Anyway, I have some insight with the NE/NY area. I think this is one of the few good school lists I have seen. Add SUNY Upstate as discussed previously, and Buffalo as well. Everything else looks great, I say go with it.

Good luck!

cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.65
MCAT: 38 [PS 11 / VR 13 / BS 14]

Large, state University
Residency: NJ

ECs: ~100 hours ER Volunteer; 2 years of Lab Research; some shadowing; some unique ECs, but no clubs or official leadership

UMDNJ-RWJS
UMDNJ-NJMS
SUNY-Downstate
Albany Medical College
Drexel
Jefferson
Temple
G.W.
Georgetown
Columbia
Cornell
UPenn
Yale
Mayo

Are you completely loco amigo?
WTF apply to some schools like Harvard, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Brown, Dartmouth... My god son...you have an MCAT that will get you some interviews!!! Why don't you apply to Harvard...seriously WTF...also you are applying to schools in NYC, but you leave out NYU and MT Sinai (yet you have GW, Albany, Drex and Temple on the list???) I really do not understand why you are selling yourself short.

APPLY TO HARVARD

Are you completely loco amigo?
WTF apply to some schools like Harvard, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Brown, Dartmouth... My god son...you have an MCAT that will get you some interviews!!! Why don't you apply to Harvard...seriously WTF...also you are applying to schools in NYC, but you leave out NYU and MT Sinai (yet you have GW, Albany, Drex and Temple on the list???) I really do not understand why you are selling yourself short.

APPLY TO HARVARD

Yeah, based on his skewed school list, I felt there was something we didn't know. I just didn't want to probe.

But yeah john, surely consider applying to some top tier. Your ECs are not very attractive, but that MCAT will speak volumes to help cover that up.

Or Brown and Dartmouth for that matter. Just pick geographically. You're competitive everywhere. Good luck, although you won't need much of it.

Yeah, based on his skewed school list, I felt there was something we didn't know. I just didn't want to probe.

But yeah john, surely consider applying to some top tier. Your ECs are not very attractive, but that MCAT will speak volumes to help cover that up.

Or Brown and Dartmouth for that matter. Just pick geographically. You're competitive everywhere. Good luck, although you won't need much of it.

Thanks for all the help, guys. You have to understand, I walked out of the June 18 MCAT praying for 29+...so naturally my list was a little on the lower-end stat-wise (I didn't even know there was such a thing as Mt. Sinai medical school!!?)

I'm adding Upstate as you suggested, I'm debating Buffalo. Adding Harvard, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Dartmouth, Brown...

Thanks for all the help, guys. You have to understand, I walked out of the June 18 MCAT praying for 29+...so naturally my list was a little on the lower-end stat-wise (I didn't even know there was such a thing as Mt. Sinai medical school!!?)

I'm adding Upstate as you suggested, I'm debating Buffalo. Adding Harvard, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Dartmouth, Brown...

heh there you go - good luck!