Commit to Enroll (CTE) question?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djsbaseball2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am currently deciding between 2 schools. The school that I have been accepted to has a CTE date by May 31st and they state, "This means indicating commit to enroll in the Choose your Medical School Tool in AMCAS and following through on withdrawing from ALL candidacy elsewhere (TMDSAS, AACOMAS, off shore and international schools) including waitlists."

The other school that I am still considering over this current acceptance and other acceptances I am waiting for a decision post interview. Based off the school-specific forums, this school is behind in their decision making and has put some applicants on an "informal hold" to see the movement of their current acceptances in the coming week or two. They have already sent waitlist decisions out formally to some people from my interview day but I have not received anything so I am assuming i am in this group. They are speculating late April into Early May.

In the event that they do not get back to me with a decision prior to May 31st, how would my current school know if i withdrew my application from that school? I would want to keep the school that is pending in consideration because it is more prestigious and a better fit in my eyes. Just confused on this whole CTE process and honestly think its not working how AMCAS wanted it too.

Members don't see this ad.

I would email the admissions office at your acceptance, explain your circumstances, and ask for a deadline extension. The entire PTE/CTE process is a mess.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a plan to enroll and commit to enroll button on may 31. Only press commit to enroll if 100% certain of school. If you want to remain on the other waitlist, then leave it at plan to enroll, so that you can still wait for waitlists. I believe this is your confusion. But just see when you have to commit to enroll at school you have acceptance at since different schools have different dates (most likely july)

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a plan to enroll and commit to enroll button on may 31. Only press commit to enroll if 100% certain of school. If you want to remain on the other waitlist, then leave it at plan to enroll, so that you can still wait for waitlists. I believe this is your confusion. But just see when you have to commit to enroll at school you have acceptance at since different schools have different dates (most likely july)
The schools CTE deadline is May 31st, April 30th is when people can start CTE i think that is what you are referring to.

Because if you choose CTE for School A, but do not withdraw from School B, and you sudden show up on School B waitlist, School A can see that you are alternate elsewhere. School A can them immediately rescind your acceptance without notice and if School B never calls you for an acceptance, you would be royally, totally, and completely screwed with nothing. The impact of this risk is potentially never becoming a doctor. Dont screw around with CTE,
I thought you could choose CTE and remain on the waitlists at other schools

That's only for PTE. CTE is the nuclear option, and as a result, usually is not required by schools until a short time (~3 weeks or so) before orientation.

That's only for PTE. CTE is the nuclear option, and as a result, usually is not required by schools until a short time (~3 weeks or so) before orientation.
Ok so I have to select PTE on April 30 to keep one school while still remaining on the waitlists at other schools?

Ok so I have to select PTE on April 30 to keep one school while still remaining on the waitlists at other schools?
That's correct. I wonder how many people will open up the tool on April 30 under the impression that was the deadline to select CTE, and then wreck their chances of getting off the WL at their dream school.

That's correct. I wonder how many people will open up the tool on April 30 under the impression that was the deadline to select CTE, and then wreck their chances of getting off the WL at their dream school.
Probably a lot. Just until now I was going to select CTE on April 30 based on other threads

You must follow each individual school's policy which can stipulate that you must commit and withdraw from all waitlists by a certain date. failure to do so can lead to rescinding your acceptance without notice and you would have no recourse
How do I find some of my schools CTE deadlines? I can't find it on MSAR or their website

You must follow each individual school's policy which can stipulate that you must commit and withdraw from all waitlists by a certain date. failure to do so can lead to rescinding your acceptance without notice and you would have no recourse
That's a true fact about CTE, but an irrelevant and potentially misleading response to the question. There is no school-dependent effect on the effect of choosing CTE; choosing that option notifies all your WL schools that you have chosen CTE for another school. Barring some miracle, that means you will not be getting off any waitlists.

But yes, each school has a different deadline for choosing CTE. The PTE school (that you have to designate by April 30) will have its own CTE deadline, and that day will essentially be the final day for your WL schools to get back to you.

Reactions: 1 users

No, you only have to select PTE or CTE if/when your specific school requires it. Very few schools have an requirement for PTE from what I've seen. The only thing you HAVE to do to by 4/30 is reject all but one acceptance (unless your chosen school says otherwise, but that is not likely. Check with them).

Applicants will only completely wreck their chances of getting off a WL if they choose CTE if they actually withdraw themselves from said WLs. Poaching is allowed, but probably not likely. And also, Gonnif made a good point about an acceptance being rescinded if a school happens to notice CTE with current WL and then chooses to act. No gaurantee. PTE with WLs is the way to go if the student would rather attend a WL school.

How do I find some of my schools CTE deadlines? I can't find it on MSAR or their website

This thread may help, but is not exhaustive and you should double check with your programs. 2018-2019 "Commit to Enroll" Deadlines

so just to clarify, after you have cte'd, schools can see if you are still holding wls that you are not supposed to be holding?

No, it is the other way around. the medical school you choose to CTE cant see your WL. However, your WL schools can see you CTE at another (unidentified) school.
Medical schools can run detailed reports to identify their accepted and alternate-list applicants who have selected “Plan to Enroll” or “Commit to Enroll” at their school versus another school
so then, what is the risk, exactly? that the waitlisted schools will withdraw your app?