Committee Letter Conflict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

anashpiano

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I've got a slightly sticky situation when it comes to my pre-health committee. Basically, I have two schools that could potentially represent me in my committee letter. The situation is as follows: I filled almost all of the requirements for medical school in my undergrad, but not all of them. I've been filling in the gaps with classes at a different school and am trying to figure out if I should join their post-bacc program. Joining the post-bacc program will make it easier to take classes, but I will have to commit to taking more of them there (not a terrible thing). However, I will also have to commit to getting a committee letter from the second school.

I am already planning on getting several letters of recommendation from my undergrad, and I would imagine/hope at least one serious letter from the post-bacc classes.

How should I decide which committee should represent me? Is it worth it to join the post-bacc program, if I have to give up my ties to my alma mater? How much does the name/prestige of the school matter?

Thank you to anyone who can give some input!
 
i would think it would be beneficial for you to use your most recent committee to rep you when you apply (ie your post bacc) unless you not in a structured/formal postbacc program and only taking 1 or 2 quarters (1 semester) of classes to fill in your "gaps." if that's the case, i would stick with my ug committee.

just a personal thought.
 
That's just the problem. I appear to be splitting almost exactly in half, in terms of requirements. Since I had a lot more extracurricular involvement and faculty interaction at my undergrad, I'd like to focus there. However, as it stands, it might make the next few semesters much easier if I can just be in a post-bacc program.

Does it look bad to take 4-5 classes at another school without formally enrolling in a post-bacc program? (Am I just being a worry wart?)
 
yeh im curious which rec to use too (wlel i will after i start applying to med school if i get into SMP). my UG committee letter i have a feeling is absolutely very strong, as the members on the committee knew me the most, and has seen my development, including work in extracurriculars, academics, etc etc. what to do what to do