Committee Letter Situation... advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainFlakes

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of in a sticky situation that I have really nobody but myself to blame for, but even with that, there are two options I have and I don't know which one to take. Last year, I withdrew my application, but I went through the entire committee letter process including the interview. I withdrew a week after I received my MCAT score back. Now this cycle, I decided to apply but I didn't think I needed to do a new committee letter interview. Turns out that I did so the earliest date that they have is June 27th. They told me that the turn around time after an interview for a letter is 6-8 weeks. That would mean that I would get the letter into AMCAS anywhere from August 8th-22nd. Since I can't get the interview any later, I was thinking of just asking them to write the letter without a new interview so they could start writing it today and hopefully have it done anywhere from July 20th to August 3rd. They wouldn't tell me whether they have a draft from last year available to speed up the process. I'm also worried that forgoing the updated interview will lead them to right a negative mark in the letter. I was wondering what you guys think the best course of action would be?
I posted this on /r/premed but I also wanted to know your guys opinion

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if im wrong, but I’m 99% sure that letters get transmitted to schools in 1 business day once uploaded on to AMCAS. If they don’t upload until mid August that’s not really that late I don’t think, especially if it will be received by the school one day later. Although schools may mark you incomplete until they receive the LOR, I think just going for a new interview is better than using an old one, especially if you’re not sure if they have an old draft or how they’d interpret your request