Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDanger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

How bad does it look if your school offers committee letters but you don't send one in? Does this hinder you?

I will be completing AADSAS this summer, but my school doesn't send out committee letters until October. My advisor said that when I send my app out this summer, she will notify dschools that I will have a committee letter sent in the future (dschools will then have the choice of waiting until they get my letter to evaluate my app or just make a decision without seeing my letter). As most of you know, getting this letter takes some effort and at that point next semester I'm not sure I will have the energy to compile a prehealth committee app and go through an interview process at my school for this letter. Although if it would be a hit to my app that I go to a school that offers committee letters and I don't get one, I'll definitely reconsider.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a hard time believing a schools health professions committee would wait until October to send out their committee letters (maybe just because mine was excellent and had everything ready for me to go the second I was ready to apply). If that is in fact the case however, I'd certainly bypass the committee letter and get your own individual letters and apply a few months earlier.

My school has 3 different deadlines: One in December, one in March, and one in September. Of course if I had applied to it in March, my letter would be ready by now but I didn't feel prepared enough at that time, so I chose to do the September deadline.