common surgical mistakes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kduarte1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Idk if this question has been discussed before, but what are some of the most common mistakes made in surgery. I am considering surgery but am not very confident in my hands. How easy is it to nick something while you have someone open? How are the lawsuits in surgery? Do all you residents and attendings still get nervous over some surgeries, or does it become second nature after a while?

Members don't see this ad.

"if you can see through it, cut it"

my PD said at orientation "don't be in a hurry to leave the hospital, a significant number of your mistakes will come when you're trying to hurry up and leave." Same thing in the OR...

any other thoughts/comments would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
In my field we operate around the carotid and the jugular and a fair number of the cranial nerves on a routine basis. You learn to work slowly and cautiously. I am 6'3" and always thought of myself more as an orthopod type than an ENT type. But I've found myself to be quite steady and fine around major structures. You just have to do as many of the above suggested, take your time and don't be in a hurry. Plus, trust that your attendings will work you up to the procedures slowly. For me I do only limited parts of certain surgeries as I work towards getting more comfortable with head and neck anatomy, it's just part of the learning curve.

Good luck!

If you have good staff- they wont let you screw up anything they cant fix.

you will cut bowel, vessels accidentally in residency (and as attending)
recognizing it in the OR and being able to fix it is the key