Communication with your advanced program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Izzyman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I matched into an advanced program and will be doing my intern year in a different state.

I was wondering, how much has your advanced program communicated with you? And along those lines, how much should I expect my advanced program to communicate with me throughout my intern year?

Mine just sent an email with one line of congratulations and proceeded to ask for official information and list requirements to be covered in intern year.

I was hoping they'd let me know who my co-interns will be (advanced and categorical) and give access to other residents so I could start making connections and ask questions to have a successful intern year. It would feel more welcoming that way.

Am I being a bit much?

It doesn't help that I'm not exactly thrilled about where I matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

So I matched into an advanced program and will be doing my intern year in a different state.

I was wondering, how much has your advanced program communicated with you? And along those lines, how much should I expect my advanced program to communicate with me throughout my intern year?

Mine just sent an email with one line of congratulations and proceeded to ask for official information and list requirements to be covered in intern year.

I was hoping they'd let me know who my co-interns will be (advanced and categorical) and give access to other residents so I could start making connections and ask questions to have a successful intern year. It would feel more welcoming that way.

Am I being a bit much?

That's pretty typical. Minimal communication is the norm.

I wouldn't expect to hear much until after the start of 2018, honestly. Possibly not even until this time next year so they can get all the incoming paperwork done at the same time for categorical and advanceds (if your program has both).

If you ask I bet they will send you a list, I am sure you aren't the only one curious who your coresidents will be.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,

Am I being a bit much?

Just ask the program coordinator who else matched into your class. I came to an all-advanced program and did my intern year at my home med-school program. They sent me the match list when I asked so I could reach out to my future colleagues. I totally understand your desire to find out who else you matched with.

For what it is worth, I love/loved my all-advanced residency and I couldn't have asked for a better place to train [and it got me where I wanted to go]. This should be a happy time for you!

Just ask the program coordinator who else matched into your class. I came to an all-advanced program and did my intern year at my home med-school program. They sent me the match list when I asked so I could reach out to my future colleagues. I totally understand your desire to find out who else you matched with.

For what it is worth, I love/loved my all-advanced residency and I couldn't have asked for a better place to train [and it got me where I wanted to go]. This should be a happy time for you!

I did ask the coordinator on the phone. And she said she can't give out that information because of some law. lolwut. I'm just asking who it is I matched with, not their personal information. Maybe my wording was off.

It wasn't in my top of my rank list (though my dream number 1 was a far reach)