Community college and medical school.

Started by davidbm95
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

davidbm95

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hy i'm going to be a senior in high school next year. I didn't do so well so I am limited to my colleges. I live in the San Fernando, California. I am looking into CSUN. From what I heard admissions might be cutoff. I know I have a pretty good chance of getting in, but just in case I end up at a community college for two years. What classes am i going to take if I am biology major? From what I have heard most medical schools despise you taking pre reqs at community college so if most of my classes end up being pre reqs what am I supposed to take at a community college and what do i definitely have to take at a university?
 
Hy i'm going to be a senior in high school next year. I didn't do so well so I am limited to my colleges. I live in the San Fernando, California. I am looking into CSUN. From what I heard admissions might be cutoff. I know I have a pretty good chance of getting in, but just in case I end up at a community college for two years. What classes am i going to take if I am biology major? From what I have heard most medical schools despise you taking pre reqs at community college so if most of my classes end up being pre reqs what am I supposed to take at a community college and what do i definitely have to take at a university?

If you don't take your required classes as part of the transfer-agreement while you're at a CC, then getting into medical school will be the least of your worries. Do what is required to transfer and then take the rest of your classes at your 4-year. If you do go the CC route, get a 4.0, do ECs, and get a full ride to one of the UC's (UCB, UCLA, UCI, UCSD) if you can.
 
If you don't take your required classes as part of the transfer-agreement while you're at a CC

I'm not sure what you mean by that. What is a transfer agreement? Also what I am nervous about is that say i take a general chem class at a cc, won't medical schools look down on that?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not sure what you mean by that. What is a transfer agreement? Also what I am nervous about is that say i take a general chem class at a cc, won't medical schools look down on that?

If you take A LOT, yes. If you take SOME, not really. And by "transfer agreement" he means the requirements to transfer from a 2 year college (CC) to a 4 year college (university).

Example: In Florida, you must have 60 credits or an AA to transfer to an University (guaranteeing admission usually).
 
Hy i'm going to be a senior in high school next year. I didn't do so well so I am limited to my colleges. I live in the San Fernando, California. I am looking into CSUN. From what I heard admissions might be cutoff. I know I have a pretty good chance of getting in, but just in case I end up at a community college for two years. What classes am i going to take if I am biology major? From what I have heard most medical schools despise you taking pre reqs at community college so if most of my classes end up being pre reqs what am I supposed to take at a community college and what do i definitely have to take at a university?

Garbage... If you can take every single pre rec at community college DO IT. Just make sure when you transfer you have an equal measure of Upper level sciences at the University level. If any school thumbs its nose at your CC credits you don't want to go there anyway. Take the cheaper, smaller class sizes, better taught courses at the CC over the expensive, 200 plus, never meet your professor classes at university. CC is the way to go especially if you had a hard time in High school it gives you time to grow up so you don't end up like so many other freshmen premeds with a 1.5 gpa, then scratching you head as to how can I still get into med school. Nothing wrong with CC and honestly I think they are better for most people.

Good luck
 
Also, you're in CA. Most of the stigma against CCs doesn't apply to you because the college system is setup so that they teach equivalent material at both. In short, take whatever you can at the CC and then throw in an upper level or three at the 4-year school (and if you're going for a Biology degree, that won't be an issue).

Also, make sure you're choosing Biology because you like Biology, not because you think you need it to get into med school. You absolutely do not.
 
I am very interested in biology. But here is another dilemma of mine... I know that I need or should have a minimum of 2 years research to be competitive for med schools but how will I do this if by the time I get to a university I will have only 1 year to do research. Anyone feel free to give me an answer I am desperate for anything.
 
I am very interested in biology. But here is another dilemma of mine... I know that I need or should have a minimum of 2 years research to be competitive for med schools but how will I do this if by the time I get to a university I will have only 1 year to do research. Anyone feel free to give me an answer I am desperate for anything.

While you're at the CC, see if you can talk with a professor from a neighboring UC (if you have any) and get a volunteer position. If that doesn't work, then start research immediately the summer before you transfer. A year of research is good enough to apply with when many people get in without any to begin with.
 
Most adcoms don't have an issue with 2 years at community college followed by 2 years in the university. What they don't like is someone going to an elite university but then taking the o-chem sequence or the physics sequence at No Name Community College over the summer as a way of dodging a weed-out course at their own school.