Community College and Vet School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JWheeler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A question to all of you who have been accepted into vet school. Will vet schools take required classes from community colleges? Or do they need to be from state universities? I was told the school had to be an accredited college, so i got my A.S and transfered to a state from a community which was a hassle in order to do requirements for vet school. Am i wasting my time?! I drive 100 miles a day for State University, when i have a community college down the street.

Members don't see this ad.

I would check out http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas.htm under "Applying to Veterinary School," and look at the specific requirements for the schools you want to apply to. Every school is a little bit different. I don't see why they would care if you took classes at a community college. However, community colleges often do not offer a lot of the specific upper level classes you need. You could also call and speak with the admissions offices for the schools you want to apply to, they're generally more than happy to help. That's a long drive to be making if you're not sure you have to! :eek:

I know of at least once school that wants you to have upper level classes from a university. For them, this includes organic, biochem, and animal nutrition.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would check out http://www.aavmc.org/vmcas/vmcas.htm under "Applying to Veterinary School," and look at the specific requirements for the schools you want to apply to. Every school is a little bit different. I don't see why they would care if you took classes at a community college. However, community colleges often do not offer a lot of the specific upper level classes you need. You could also call and speak with the admissions offices for the schools you want to apply to, they're generally more than happy to help. That's a long drive to be making if you're not sure you have to! :eek:

What MrSquirtles said, and you may find that the State University may have a concurrent enrollment for certain community colleges that are closer to home. If you are going to go to a cc, you also would need to make sure that the course credit will transfer to the school you want to attend. I would talk to your university and possibly an advisor for the vet school you want to attend.

Hello!

I started out in jr. college where I took many of my core science classes. I did not have a problem with admissions accepting these credits as long as the class fulfilled their standards. I took all of my general chem, organic chem, biochem, freshmen biology, and calculus courses and it was not a problem. Just make sure you check with the schools admissions office to make sure the course fills their requirements.

I hope that helps.

Karlee83

Talk to your school. I'm a non-trad so my situation, I'm sure, is much different than yours, but I was just accepted at UTCVM and the only class I took that was NOT at my local community college was Biochem. I do know I would have never made it into many of the northern schools, but that was never my goal. When I decided I could finally follow my dream of becoming a vet the ONLY school I was interested in (and therefore the only one I applied to) was UTCVM. I was told by MANY people (lots of instructors) that I would not be able to get in having only CC classes. I did (on the first try), but I do think a lot has to do with my life experience. So, it can be done, but I'm sure every school (and every person for that matter) is different. Good luck!!