Community college before hand?

joshuabrown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyone says that medical schools don't like if you take your pre-requisites at a community college, I was wondering if I should just get my AA in business or something in CC then transfer and start pre-med reqs at a university?? Help please!

Members don't see this ad.

Some of the higher mds care a bit....but your gpa matter more

GPA and MCAT matter most. 2 years at a CC should not really hurt you, but many people also recommend you take some upper-level courses after you transfer to the university; to show you can handle their work as well and you didn't get a high GPA just from going to the CC.

Personally, I would do the CC major that has at least some to most of the basic pre-reqs. That way, you'll have some out of the way at least. If business has that, then sure why not, but if not, don't unless you're truly interested imo. But, I'm only going to be a college freshman as of this fall, so maybe some others who've gone through the process can shed some more light on the subject.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone says that medical schools don't like if you take your pre-requisites at a community college, I was wondering if I should just get my AA in business or something in CC then transfer and start pre-med reqs at a university?? Help please!

IMO, It depends on how many years you plan on doing at the CC.

I plan to go for 1 year and then transfer. So in theory, I wouldn't have to take the pre-reqs at the CC if I was afraid of not looking competitive.

However, you talked about getting your Associates, so that would require 2 years. And it would be very hard to finish all your pre-reqs by your Junior Year. so you could do like the others say and take your upper level sciences at a University.

But honestly, there's no clear-cut way from CC to Med School. So take everything said with a grain of salt.

Good luck :thumbup:

Looks like the search function is broken...

Anyways, as long as you can transfer ALL credits, no problemo. Just make sure you do good and actually retain the information because you will be needing it to destroy the MCAT.

Well, if you had to choose one or the other, I would choose my hand before community college. That's just me though.

Well, if you had to choose one or the other, I would choose my hand before community college. That's just me though.

Would you like a box of tissues to keep you company?

IMO, It depends on how many years you plan on doing at the CC.

I plan to go for 1 year and then transfer. So in theory, I wouldn't have to take the pre-reqs at the CC if I was afraid of not looking competitive.

However, you talked about getting your Associates, so that would require 2 years. And it would be very hard to finish all your pre-reqs by your Junior Year. so you could do like the others say and take your upper level sciences at a University.

But honestly, there's no clear-cut way from CC to Med School. So take everything said with a grain of salt.

Good luck :thumbup:

Most transfers don't bother getting an associates. Most just research what they need to finish their degrees at their 4 year college. And obviously there's no clear-cut way from a CC to Med school, you need a bachelors lol. But obviously it is doable.

GPA and MCAT matter most. 2 years at a CC should not really hurt you, but many people also recommend you take some upper-level courses after you transfer to the university; to show you can handle their work as well and you didn't get a high GPA just from going to the CC.

Personally, I would do the CC major that has at least some to most of the basic pre-reqs. That way, you'll have some out of the way at least. If business has that, then sure why not, but if not, don't unless you're truly interested imo. But, I'm only going to be a college freshman as of this fall, so maybe some others who've gone through the process can shed some more light on the subject.

Generally if you're doing upper level bios at the Univ level and getting A's then coursewise your lower level pre-reqs at the CC won't be too offensive to adcoms. But anyways, my view is leave orgo and physics for the university level. Everything else is fine at the CC level.

Last edited:
With the aloe vera you've always wanted? :smuggrin:

tumblr_lpqu9mywpu1qmk708o1_500.gif