Community college for prereqs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LNA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-trad, 24 years old, trying to decide the best way to get my pre-reqs and could really use some advice.

My options are taking two years and spending a lot of money to complete them at the 4 year college nearby

OR

taking some classes at the community college and some at the 4 year college and finishing them in 1 year for less money. (To clarify, I'd still be under 12 credits total per semester, I wouldn't be taking full loads at each school. Scheduling options are just very limited.)

My goal is to get into an allopathic school, the dream would be UNC, so if anybody has info on how UNC feels about community college credits that would be really helpful.

General background, I have a liberal arts major from a few years ago with a 3.8 gpa, solid extracurriculars/shadowing. I'm not an amazing candidate on paper, but I feel like if I do well in my pre-reqs and on the MCAT I've got a good shot.

Questions:
1. Is taking community college credits a bad idea in general? Specifically for UNC will this be taken into account?
2. Are there certain classes I should make sure to take at the 4 year college, for example organic chem?
3. Anything I'm not taking into account that I should be?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I did all my prerequisites except for physics at a CC. No one ever brought it up.

Great! Thank you so much for responding. I'm going to go for it in one year, and I like the idea of taking ochem at the CC and following it up with Biochem at the 4-year.

And no worries, I will definitely be applying to more schools than just UNC :) I would hate to shoot myself in the foot at my top choice though.