Community College or 4 Year University for Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HMC_CORPSMAN9000

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm a Navy veteran, hold an MBA, hold a BS in Computer Science, have 4 years of Navy Enlisted medical experience, and have no science courses! Not to mention that I'm creeping up to the riveting age of 30.

I'm deciding to knock out those prerequisites beginning this summer/fall. The reason why I gave up (with shame) my first go round in my early 20's was because I did not have the right support ( a wife that didn't want me to be a doctor -_-, go figure) and getting a D+ in Bio. So I guessed I lied earlier when I said I did not have any science courses. At any rate, I was left unmotivated and without ever wanting to look back at a predetermined career that my calling was in.

Things have now changed with me of course, I'm happily divorced, and I knocked out my BS and MBA. Became a Business Developer and Data Analyst, however, I'm left with wanting to go back into the medical profession because I do not have a true passion for being a business person.

Stats
3.3 BS in Computer Science ( **** ain't easy) ( last 90 courses equate to a 3.7)
3.8 MBA ( I know this doesn't matter, or does it? )

Additional

Registered Medical Assistant -- license or whatever is expired.
Resident of Oregon ( OHSU would be a dream come true).

During my time in the navy I earned experience in :
  • 18 months in Labor and Delivery ( I helped with the delivery and care of neonatals, often went into surgery, solely responsible for the baby!)​
  • 6 Months in Family Practice (eh)​
  • 18 months of emergency medicine ( I was basically the paramedic on site for a huge carrier going through reconstruction, this was intense because we had civilian workers on the ship that did not meet Navy Physical Standards. Heart attacks, heat strokes, and dehydration were almost every other day).​
  • 6 months : The remaining balance were boot camp, Corpsman School, and transitions.​
So finally my question is, given my background and experience , if the community of SDN recommend I go conquer those prerequisites at a community college or at a 4 year university?

Also if I should do more volunteer hours or any kind of hours (since serving your country does not count). Lastly, not interested in research, I care more about patient care not pretending to care about research.

Thoughts, opinions, comments, questions, and concerns are welcomed! Go ham !

If I posted in the wrong area please redirect me so I don't look like a _______. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also creeping up towards *30* and currently work full time, so community college was my only option! From what I've read on here, 4 year is best, if you can swing the schedule and cost. But, working full-time and paying out of pocket for my classes, community college was the best I could swing. I realize that 4 year classes are probably looked higher upon, but I think there is something to be said for working full time and taking classes and volunteering and doing well in all things simultaneously! That requires great time management, dedication, and motivation! Just my 2 cents though...

Reactions: 1 users
You have to look school by school, some programs explicitly say that they do not accept community college credits. Your premed grades are there to show you can handle the rigorous coursework of basic sciences. This tells AdComs you can succeed during preclinical medical school. If it’s your only option, I would also look at DO schools.

Your service will be a benefit to you. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It certainly doesn't affect your chances at DO school. I went to CC for 2 years and a public university for the other 2. I received 7/9 DO interviews (All established schools) and was accepted to all. I received 1 MD interview and still haven't heard back. I was competitive for the bottom tier MD schools and all DO schools so I am not sure how the results would have been for the MD schools if I had say a 90 percentile MCAT...

Reactions: 1 user
Wouldn’t be so sure about DO schools accepting CC. A rep from Rocky Vista told me they don’t take CC prereqs, though it wasn’t stated on their listed info at the time. This was a few years ago though. Others didn’t mind at all.

I appreciate everyone's responses ! I think I will have to play it safe here and get those prereqs from a 4 year University.

I spoke to the Western DO school in Oregon and they were saying that I CAN knock them out at community college but it be better if it were from a four year university.

HMC in 4 years? That’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah no I wish, just have mad love for the people that stay in and reach that goal.

For sure! I always felt bad for the people who had that goal but got stuck at 1st class. Especially when they are an awesome first, but don’t make Chief because of politics.

For sure! I always felt bad for the people who had that goal but got stuck at 1st class. Especially when they are an awesome first, but don’t make Chief because of politics.

Yeah that is one of the many reasons I left. I personally knew a great first class that never got Chief because of politics.

Then I knew others who spent over 20 years trying to get there and I knew that life wasn't for me.

Good luck to you on your endeavors!

I did almost entirely CC, had a great back story, mediocre MCAT... beat the odds and gained an acceptance at a local new med school.

You could start with the basic bio and chem at CC, then transfer to a 4 year - this would help cut your cost as well as give you the lower prof/student ratio at a CC as you start out learning the sciences which can be difficult for some.

If you take any CC, make sure you get A’s... in ALL of them.

Your MCAT will make or break you... research your med schools, see how many will accept CC - but have your eye on that MCAT whatever you decide to do.

Hello everyone,

I'm a Navy veteran, hold an MBA, hold a BS in Computer Science, have 4 years of Navy Enlisted medical experience, and have no science courses! Not to mention that I'm creeping up to the riveting age of 30.

I'm deciding to knock out those prerequisites beginning this summer/fall. The reason why I gave up (with shame) my first go round in my early 20's was because I did not have the right support ( a wife that didn't want me to be a doctor -_-, go figure) and getting a D+ in Bio. So I guessed I lied earlier when I said I did not have any science courses. At any rate, I was left unmotivated and without ever wanting to look back at a predetermined career that my calling was in.

Things have now changed with me of course, I'm happily divorced, and I knocked out my BS and MBA. Became a Business Developer and Data Analyst, however, I'm left with wanting to go back into the medical profession because I do not have a true passion for being a business person.

Stats
3.3 BS in Computer Science ( **** ain't easy) ( last 90 courses equate to a 3.7)
3.8 MBA ( I know this doesn't matter, or does it? )

Additional
Registered Medical Assistant -- license or whatever is expired.
Resident of Oregon ( OHSU would be a dream come true).

During my time in the navy I earned experience in :
  • 18 months in Labor and Delivery ( I helped with the delivery and care of neonatals, often went into surgery, solely responsible for the baby!)​
  • 6 Months in Family Practice (eh)​
  • 18 months of emergency medicine ( I was basically the paramedic on site for a huge carrier going through reconstruction, this was intense because we had civilian workers on the ship that did not meet Navy Physical Standards. Heart attacks, heat strokes, and dehydration were almost every other day).​
  • 6 months : The remaining balance were boot camp, Corpsman School, and transitions.​
So finally my question is, given my background and experience , if the community of SDN recommend I go conquer those prerequisites at a community college or at a 4 year university?

Also if I should do more volunteer hours or any kind of hours (since serving your country does not count). Lastly, not interested in research, I care more about patient care not pretending to care about research.

Thoughts, opinions, comments, questions, and concerns are welcomed! Go ham !

If I posted in the wrong area please redirect me so I don't look like a _______. Thanks!
I did 80% of my prereqs at a CC and had no problem with DO schools. I had to take genetics, biochemistry and physiology at the Un because you will need several upper division biology coursesi. I don't feel that the CC hurt me, but I also wasn't there for grade repair and I probably saved at least $5k. As long as you do well on the MCAT, it doesn't matter.