Community College Thoughts

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm 17 and getting ready to graduate high school a year early. I'd like to do my credits through a community college as it will be a little cheaper than a normal college. Can I take my premed requisites at the communty college?

From what I know, 95% of the teachers are super nice and say there isn't a problem about getting an A. It's a respected community college around my state. Would this impact my future at medical school?

I plan on transferring to our main state college after getting some main courses out of the way. My current college grade point average is a 4.0. These have been taken through DC, any thoughts?

Thank you SDN in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Where you take your prereqs matters to some schools and not to others, due to perceptions of academic rigor at various types of schools (true or not) . Best to contact the medical school(s) you're interested in to find out.

Where you take your prereqs matters to some schools and not to others, due to perceptions of academic rigor at various types of schools (true or not) . Best to contact the medical school(s) you're interested in to find out.
Thank you! I will do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
After you transfer, DO NOT go back there and take science pre-reqs. My pre-med advisor said it's in fine print that they say don't do this.

After you transfer, DO NOT go back there and take science pre-reqs. My pre-med advisor said it's in fine print that they say don't do this.
All due respect, your pre-med advisor hasn't informed you very well. I've contacted the following schools; Harvard University of Medicine, Standford University of Medicine, Utah University of Medicine, Cornell University of Medicine, and so on. I've contacted about 15 different schools, 10 of which have gotten back to me.

All of them have said stuff like;

"Lots of our students have started at community colleges for one reason or another. This will not effect your application negatively in any way."

-
Utah's University of Medicine.

I don't want to be rude, but I want the proper information on this forum post for others to see.

All due respect, your pre-med advisor hasn't informed you very well. I've contacted the following schools; Harvard University of Medicine, Standford University of Medicine, Utah University of Medicine, Cornell University of Medicine, and so on. I've contacted about 15 different schools, 10 of which have gotten back to me.

"Lots of our students have started at community colleges for one reason or another. This will not effect your application negatively in any way."

-

I don't want to be rude, but I want the proper information on this forum post for others to see.

UChicago has it on their website, that they prefer to not see community college prereqs.

The safest solution is to check with the individual schools.

Reactions: 1 user
UChicago has it on their website, that they prefer to not see community college prereqs.

The safest solution is to check with the individual schools.
Fair statement, I concur.

Reactions: 1 user

-

You did not read my message, I said once you transfer do not go back to community college and take SCIENCE PREREQS, I'VE been to community college so I know these things and I've only taken gen ed there with no science courses sooooooo.....

I don't want to be rude, but thoroughly read messages before you quote me.