Community college to MD/Ph.D.?

Started by 868651
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

8

868651

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it possible to go from a DIY premed at community college to an MD/Ph.D. program?
 
I did it, from CC to MD (with a non trad bachelor that’s over a decade old) I will be starting 3rd year of med school in a couple months. I think this type of plan is better if one has a definable non-traditional background.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm assuming there is a bachelor's in there? I started at CC, and by the time I finished medical school I had AAS, BS, MS, and MD degrees with a solid research and teaching job in between the masters and med school. If you know what you want and can work hard and get the grades, you can definitely make it to med school.
 
I'm assuming there is a bachelor's in there? I started at CC, and by the time I finished medical school I had AAS, BS, MS, and MD degrees with a solid research and teaching job in between the masters and med school. If you know what you want and can work hard and get the grades, you can definitely make it to med school.

What were your degrees in?
 
In order, Math/Science, Biochemistry, and Chemistry (with a thesis that was really on protein chemistry).

The reason I ask is that my BS was in Business Administration, but I’m going to take pre med courses in community college, take the MCAT, and apply to medical school.

I was wondering if that was possible considering that most med students have degrees in Biology or Chemistry?
 
The reason I ask is that my BS was in Business Administration, but I’m going to take pre med courses in community college, take the MCAT, and apply to medical school.

I was wondering if that was possible considering that most med students have degrees in Biology or Chemistry?
Make sure your target schools accept community college prereqs. mine did, so it was okay, though I'm sure it cost me a couple interviews in retrospect - I didn't know much about medicine or the process back then. In regards to majors, that doesn't matter. Only prereqs and mcat (and gpa) matter. I know plenty of business, engineering, and liberal arts majors who made it in.
 
Make sure your target schools accept community college prereqs. mine did, so it was okay, though I'm sure it cost me a couple interviews in retrospect - I didn't know much about medicine or the process back then. In regards to majors, that doesn't matter. Only prereqs and mcat (and gpa) matter. I know plenty of business, engineering, and liberal arts majors who made it in.

My UGPA was 3.0, so if I made As on all of my community college prerequisites, should I be ok?

The reason I’m picking CC is for affordability. I could return to my college for a BS in Chemistry, but it’s more affordable for me to attend CC especially if I get rejection letters from my med school picks.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My UGPA was 3.0, so if I made As on all of my community college prerequisites, should I be ok?

The reason I’m picking CC is for affordability. I could return to my college for a BS in Chemistry, but it’s more affordable for me to attend CC especially if I get rejection letters from my med school picks.
Just make sure you talk to the admissions folks at the schools you are targeting regarding community college courses. In terms of gpa, you are a bit on the low side, which doesn't mean it is impossible, but it is more difficult. Even with a perfect 4.0 you could only make 3.2 to 3.3 in the end. This would change your target list. If you search for reinvention on this site there are some lists of schools that reward that for you to go over.