Community College to undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcx123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so hopefully I'm in the right area. I'm a high school senior and have opted to begin at a community college purely for income reasons. I am paying for school on my own and this was the most feasible option. When I applied I didn't have a clue if I really wanted to eventually become a doctor, but after a lot of reflection and research as well as classes I'm very passionate about, I can't see myself doing anything else.

I only applied to my CC because that was my plan all along. Now my heart is set on eventually being a med student, and obviously CC credits are frowned upon by the majority of med school boards; that said, my question is this: if I go to my CC for my freshman year to complete most of my gen. ed's, and then transfer to a 4 year university for my sophomore year to complete all my pre-med requirements, will it still be a red flag?

I don't dare stay at a CC for two years as that would leave me trying to complete all my reqs junior year before taking the mcat. On that note, when is it best to take it? I'm seeing a variety of opinions.

Members don't see this ad.