Community College?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desiroxta

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, it's my second semester of freshman year at the University of Houston and I am taking Bio II, English II, Pre-Cal, Drama... however the only class that I am taking at community college is Chemistry I w/lab. I have been slacking off extremely in this class and I am looking towards getting a C or MAYBE very unlikely a B... Either one I wont be proud of since I should be getting an A... anyways the drop date is april 5 in order to drop a class with a "W" and I was wondering if I should drop this class and retake it this upcoming summer, both parts, at community college and actually try this time... Would that look bad on my transcript for dental school? I really don't want to drop but I also don't want a B or C... Can someone please help me? I am soo stressed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Calculate your grade and see if you can get the B. If you can, then take the class seriously and ace the rest of the semester.

If not, then you have to decide what looks worse, a C if you continue or a higher grade (not guaranteed) sitting next to a W on a transcript if you drop.

In my opinion, higher letter grades next to a W are better than a C.

I got a C- in Chem I the first time I took it. The second time I aced it with an A. I was accepted to all three dental schools here in Texas. This is not the end of the world so just relax.

so on your first chem class you got a C-, did you drop it? Or did you retake it to replace the grade? If you don't mind me asking could you please tell me your g.p.a from undergrad I would really appreciate it, thank you....

Members don't see this ad :)
Avoid community college science coursework. I still think it's rediculous for kids to take the 'easy' way out, but hey I guess it gets you in the door from what I've heard. Regardless, you're setting yourself up in the future, not only taking sciences at a community college, but robbing yourself of the rigor of science courses (notice the plural form). My advice would either be to stick it out (live and learn), or withdrawl and retake it in the spring. Good luck.

Some schools will not accept credit from community colleges.

Getting into dental school is really competitive.

If you think you can stand out with cc credits, then do what you want. It's your life, your gamble. It's up to you to make yourself as competitive an applicant as possible.

Avoid community college science coursework. I still think it's rediculous for kids to take the 'easy' way out, but hey I guess it gets you in the door from what I've heard. Regardless, you're setting yourself up in the future, not only taking sciences at a community college, but robbing yourself of the rigor of science courses (notice the plural form). My advice would either be to stick it out (live and learn), or withdrawl and retake it in the spring. Good luck.

Okay, I call bullcorn on purduephigam.

How do you know that going to a CC is an "easy way out" ? Do you know for a fact that CC courses are a piece of cake? Have you ever taken a class at such "mediocre" schools? I have, and am very happy to say that the education I got at my CC was excellent. I can say this because I've been around the block a few times and can easily spot an easy class.

Contrary to popular belief (presumably that of Mr. Purduephigam), people who went to CC's get accepted to Dental and Medical schools. And guess what? They also graduate to become Doctors. Really, I've checked. :eek:

And, by the way, it is spelled "ridiculous". So much for your 4-year college "edumacatation"...:smuggrin:

How do you know that going to a CC is an "easy way out" ? Do you know for a fact that CC courses are a piece of cake? Have you ever taken a class at such "mediocre" schools? I have, and am very happy to say that the education I got at my CC was excellent. I can say this because I've been around the block a few times and can easily spot an easy class.

Contrary to popular belief (presumably that of Mr. Purduephigam), people who went to CC's get accepted to Dental and Medical schools. And guess what? They also graduate to become Doctors. Really, I've checked. :eek:

And, by the way, it is spelled "ridiculous". So much for your 4-year college "edumacatation"...:smuggrin:

:thumbup: :D I agree. Pelotari, haven't you and I defended CC courses in a previous post.

:thumbup: :D I agree. Pelotari, haven't you and I defended CC courses in a previous post.

Yes we have. I'm tired of folks looking down at others simply because they attended CC's. Ridiculous indeed.

Well since you've felt the need to get up on your soap box and have the audacity to call me out with obvious intentions of 1) making me look foolish, and 2) making out CC's to be excellent, I feel that it is now my turn to rebuttal.

First of all, congratulations on picking up my spelling error, I'll be sure to spell check this time just for you. And second, if you'd like to put on the gloves and get fired up about community colleges, I'd be happy to meet your request.

Alright let's start out with CC coursework in general shall we? I feel that certain financial circumstances may require someone to attend a community college. This will certainly be taken under consideration by the admissions committee of the schools one may apply to. Second, and this doesn't help my credentials, but no I have not taken any community college courses. However, I have taken coursework during the summer at a sister school of Purdue as well as graduate coursework at another institution, and can say that my undergrad institution was far superior in terms of rigor as well as quality of education.

Now let's dissect the situation further. First and foremost, there are a handful of dental schools that do NOT accept CC coursework. Furthermore, I have personally heard from a handful of dental schools that they do not prefer to see CC coursework. Now the only possible reason I can think that this would be the case is because these courses have been deemed "easier." Point being, this is easily picked up from admissions committees on whether or not someone is trying to avoid or retake a "hard" class. And let me be the first to tell you, I am ecstatic that you had such an excellent education. Really, what are the odds that someone who goes to school will actually learn something?

My next point about avoiding CC coursework based on the original poster only taking one science course is the fact that it simply won't prepare you for the 30-some odd credit hours of coursework in dental school. This is something that's also noticed from admissions committees. Stellar numbers alone won't get you in the door. I'm not sure how they do things in Texas, but I've heard that numerous schools actually take into account where you went to school (aka quality of education).

In closing:
Is community college bad? Absolutely not. Especially if it's the only means to any education. My opinion is that, if it can be avoided, avoid it. This being because some schools don't take their credit, while others don’t look favorably upon it. As for the oh-so-witty Pelotari, I'm not sure what your story is, and frankly I don’t care. I would imagine numerous CC attendees will chime in and bash me, and I feel everyone is entitled to their opinion; however, if you'd like to take the time and take a few shots at me, excellent, I've got four months to kill. The only point of my first reply was to avoid CC coursework if you have the option. Forgive me for thinking so, oh wait nevermind, don't bother.

all of my prereq's were at a community college. I worked full time and owned my own business. So CC was really my only option. I now tutor university students in chem, org, physics, and bio. oh and by the way --accepted to three dental schools and one out of state. SO do well; ace the DAT to show that you know the information, and you will be fine. And one more thing I do not have a B.S. either. Non trads-- keep the faith.

Purduephigam, it is kind of pointless arguing if classes at CC are easier than those at a 4 year university. Like... is it really necessary to even explain? I think it is self explanatory.. but unfortunately, and not trying to step on anyones toes that got accepted to d-school and who took all pre reqs at cc, but Texas schools care about numbers, and numbers only. The fact that you work your ass off, and get 3.3 GPA which at some schools is considered graduating with honors (mine in particular), that is just too low for acceptance to dental school... in TX at least. So having higher GPA will always win... no matter where u went to school. Just wish I knew this ahead of time... it pisses me off too... but hey life is a bitch... and TX loves inflated grades...

I am not saying that you don't learn your basic biology, chemistry etc at a community college, but I am saying that a B at the university level class is not the same as a B at CC... and we all know that. But then again... 4.0 from a CC looks way better than a petty 3.3....... to hell with their honors.

If I could do it all over again, I would take all my pre reqs at a CC.....

Purduephigam, it is kind of pointless arguing if classes at CC are easier than those at a 4 year university. Like... is it really necessary to even explain? I think it is self explanatory.. but unfortunately, and not trying to step on anyones toes that got accepted to d-school and who took all pre reqs at cc, but Texas schools care about numbers, and numbers only. The fact that you work your ass off, and get 3.3 GPA which at some schools is considered graduating with honors (mine in particular), that is just too low for acceptance to dental school... in TX at least. So having higher GPA will always win... no matter where u went to school. Just wish I knew this ahead of time... it pisses me off too... but hey life is a bitch... and TX loves inflated grades...

I am not saying that you don't learn your basic biology, chemistry etc at a community college, but I am saying that a B at the university level class is not the same as a B at CC... and we all know that. But then again... 4.0 from a CC looks way better than a petty 3.3....... to hell with their honors.

If I could do it all over again, I would take all my pre reqs at a CC.....

Texas still has girls and football though

Members don't see this ad :)
Having schooled both at a private school, and also having supplemented several science classes at a CC, I can share that my experience with CC courses are equally if not more challenging. In my case, I am a non-trad who went back to school for mostly science classes after a previous liberal arts life.
Class quality aside, CC classes carry less prestige. This coursework was brought up in alomst half my interviews. So be advised that it can put you at a disadvantage to an otherwise similar candidate in the eyes of many adcoms. Just my $.02 for those it may help.
Best of luck!

I knew this was going to turn into a CC vs. University thread. Here is my stance on the topic.

I do not think anybody is questioning the quality of education that a person receives at CC. Some who come out of CC, ace the DAT, and go on to stellar careers in dentistry.

However, I also believe that how dental schools perceive CC is a big factor. Many of the faculty at dental schools come from an era where CC was simply a place where HS dropouts can get their GED and other less ambitious students can take a 2 year course and be certified for some sort of trade. "Real" students went to a university.

The universities carry with them funding for research. Funding for research attracts researchers. Those researches must show a mastery of their field (Ph.D) so that the research money is not wasted on incompetence. Assuming that research scientists represent the best the field has to offer and that they must teach courses, those students at the university theoretically receive instruction from the best. This is not always the case, but it is some sort of arbitrary standard and that is all there is to go on.

Time has changed all of this. There are CC's that have positioned themselves to receive NIH research funding (I only know of one located in El Paso, TX, but there may be others). CC is now viewed as a good place to start an education and save money. The instructors at CC are professionals that have years of experience and expertise in the fields they teach.

Finally, I was talking with the Dean of Students from Houston back in February about CC. His view is that university work is much more desirable because of the supposed rigor of the work. In his opinion, dental school is professional school. By taking CC coursework, your professionalism is in question.

Obviously this is not a death note as there are some on this thread and elsewhere who have been admitted to Houston with CC credits. The point is that there is still a stigma about CC, and that can hurt you if not accounted for.

In my opinion, those pre-dents who are majoring in science will probably do well to go to CC for the freshman level. The theory is you will transfer to a university, and your mastery of the subjects will be demonstrated by success in upper level coursework and on the DAT.

Those who are non-science majors may want to approach CC with trepidation. You will need to do very well on the DAT to show your mastery of science. Consider taking a few upper level courses in science and make sure your schedule is not full of fluff.

Hey guys, it's my second semester of freshman year at the University of Houston and I am taking Bio II, English II, Pre-Cal, Drama... however the only class that I am taking at community college is Chemistry I w/lab. I have been slacking off extremely in this class and I am looking towards getting a C or MAYBE very unlikely a B... Either one I wont be proud of since I should be getting an A... anyways the drop date is april 5 in order to drop a class with a "W" and I was wondering if I should drop this class and retake it this upcoming summer, both parts, at community college and actually try this time... Would that look bad on my transcript for dental school? I really don't want to drop but I also don't want a B or C... Can someone please help me? I am soo stressed out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!

What everyone was trying to say is , yes drop it, no it will not look bad, and do take all of your , or as many classes as you can at CC. If u want to apply in TX, remember, GPA is the only thing that matters, so hopefully you can ace your CC classes.... and don't bother getting a degree... just apply to d-school once you have all ur pre reqs....

so on your first chem class you got a C-, did you drop it? Or did you retake it to replace the grade? If you don't mind me asking could you please tell me your g.p.a from undergrad I would really appreciate it, thank you....

Here is my story (briefly)....

I went to a university here in Texas as an engineering major. I absolutely hated the choice I made and did not take my classes seriously. Hence, I got a C- in Chem I, a C in Calculus II, and a D in Intro. to Mech. Eng. My G.P.A. dropped from a 3.8 to a 3.2.

I changed majors to psychology and my G.P.A. improved to 3.6.

After graduating I grew more interested in medicine and later embraced dentistry. I went back to school at another university. Although my C- in Chem I transferred, I decided to take it again and aced it with an A. The trend has continued with all of my courses and I maintain a 4.0 composed of 98% science coursework.

TMDSAS combined the two G.P.A.s to show a 3.76 overall and a 3.69 science.

G.P.A. is not all that they look at. It takes more than just good grades. Dental schools know that you are human. They do not want perfect people. They want people who are imperfect, readily admit it, and overcome despite it. I think you will find that imperfect people who know they are flawed are the best because they can relate so well to the people they serve.

Here is my story (briefly)....

I think you will find that imperfect people who know they are flawed are the best because they can relate so well to the people they serve.

I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning. I see this ALL the time at work (research lab). The imperfect people who know they are flawed correct their mistakes. We make mistakes, but we make them once.

The imperfect people who don't accept that they are flawed instead justify their mistakes. They make the same mistakes over and over and over, often compounding their mistakes in order to convince themselves they are perfect.

The perfect people disappear every morning when my alarm goes off.

I agree with your conclusion, but not your reasoning. I see this ALL the time at work (research lab). The imperfect people who know they are flawed correct their mistakes. We make mistakes, but we make them once.

The imperfect people who don't accept that they are flawed instead justify their mistakes. They make the same mistakes over and over and over, often compounding their mistakes in order to convince themselves they are perfect.

The perfect people disappear every morning when my alarm goes off.

Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result each time is the definition of insanity. I am not referring to the insane as desirable. They are the "perfect people" dental schools are trying to avoid.

I hope people who are reading this thread take into consideration the biased opinions that infest this thread. Note that all of you glamorizing community college coursework are from Texas (minus the CU fella). And you are all correct about the lack of prestige they carry; this is can play as a major disadvantage to any applicant. Especially because there are people out there that will attend a CC for three years, then transfer to the main-campus university, take electives and graduate with a piece of paper that infers you went to school X for 4 years like everyone you graduated with. Forgive me for sounding bitter about the subject.

Relax Purdue....this is simply a discussion of ideas and opinions. There is no need to be bitter.

The OP is in Texas, so a lot of Texans want to help out. That is what I love about this state, we take care of our own like family.

This pisses me off every time it comes up! I will try to make this brief...

I attended a CC for a while and now a 4 year...I took gen chem I at the 4 year got a B+...my prof from that class used to teach at the Air Force Academy. He told us that the book is the same between the schools and the class is exactly the same...

I then took gen chem II at a CC because it worked with my work schedule better and got a B. This professor was ALSO a retired prof from the AFA (they knew each other), and we used the same book and the class was again...guess...the SAME!

My point...some of us can't afford a 4 year for all 4 years...the d*mn classes are the same and if CC's continue to get bashed on this site...my head is gonna explode!

Have a nice day :)

Bullcorn is my new favorite word. Is it midwestern? Texas?

I got it from watching Mash reruns back in grad school many years ago. My other two favorites are "horsehockey" and "cowcookies". :laugh:

What everyone was trying to say is , yes drop it, no it will not look bad, and do take all of your , or as many classes as you can at CC. If u want to apply in TX, remember, GPA is the only thing that matters, so hopefully you can ace your CC classes.... and don't bother getting a degree... just apply to d-school once you have all ur pre reqs....

Hold on! I'm at a community college in Houston and I plan to transfer next semester to a 4 year university. Are you saying that I shouldn't transfer and just take all my pre-reqs at CC and I should still be able to get into dental school?

Hold on! I'm at a community college in Houston and I plan to transfer next semester to a 4 year university. Are you saying that I shouldn't transfer and just take all my pre-reqs at CC and I should still be able to get into dental school?

Doctor Baby, it is ultimately your choice, but as you can see you can get into texas d-school with no degree and taking all pre reqs at a CC... if I were you I would save the money and apply to d-school after you finish all pre reqs.. have decent DAT scores, and apply early... that should do it. Unless, but I doubt, they change that rule in the years to come.

I would say go ahead and transfer. Your success in upper level courses at the university level (as well as good scores on the DAT) will let adcoms know that your CC courses were of good quality.

I would not take everything at CC, but take as much as you can at the university. As I posted earlier, the Dean of Students from UTDB in Houston had some reservations concerning CC.

I would say go ahead and transfer. Your success in upper level courses at the university level (as well as good scores on the DAT) will let adcoms know that your CC courses were of good quality.

I would not take everything at CC, but take as much as you can at the university. As I posted earlier, the Dean of Students from UTDB in Houston had some reservations concerning CC.

I am a non-traditional student. the only dental school i plan to apply to is UTDB in Houston. MY gpa at CC is 3.9. I've been accepted into Rice and University of Houston as a transfer student. I really want to go to Rice, but I don't know if that would look better when applying to D-School... maybe it would give my CC courses more value?

How much does where you go for undergrad affect your chances of getting in?

(assuming I do equally well GPA wise?)

Who knows? Probably depends on the admissions committee and their own personal biases.

I am a non trad as well and I applied only to UT Houston. I would not waste the money going to Rice if I were you. I graduated with an engineering degree from Texas Tech. I then came back to Houston to take my prereqs. I took all of my prereqs through North Harris Montgommery Community College and the University of Houston. I made all A's in my prereqs and was accepted to UT Houston in the first round. As long as you do well don't concern yourself about where you take the prereqs. I would recommend taking the bio and chem courses at North Harris College over HCC though. I took one chemistry through HCC and it was not at the same level as North Harris. If you need any more specific advice send me a private message.

(assuming I do equally well GPA wise?)

Where u went to school does not matter at all. How high of GPA u can get wherever you go... is the only thing that matters.

I am a non trad as well and I applied only to UT Houston. I would not waste the money going to Rice if I were you. I graduated with an engineering degree from Texas Tech. I then came back to Houston to take my prereqs. I took all of my prereqs through North Harris Montgommery Community College and the University of Houston. I made all A's in my prereqs and was accepted to UT Houston in the first round. As long as you do well don't concern yourself about where you take the prereqs. I would recommend taking the bio and chem courses at North Harris College over HCC though. I took one chemistry through HCC and it was not at the same level as North Harris. If you need any more specific advice send me a private message.

I am a non-traditional student with a BA in Psychology from Tech. After spending time in the field I went back to school for dental. I chose to go to a university for my pre-reqs because my science background was minimal. I wanted to prove that I could handle the rigorous demands of dental school.

I can see why they admitted you since you had your "trial by fire" with your engineering degree. They don't just hand those out.

I am a non-traditional student with a BA in Psychology from Tech. After spending time in the field I went back to school for dental. I chose to go to a university for my pre-reqs because my science background was minimal. I wanted to prove that I could handle the rigorous demands of dental school.

I can see why they admitted you since you had your "trial by fire" with your engineering degree. They don't just hand those out.

I agree.. Ex_ EE... i bow down to you, from engineering to teeth ..... I think his situation is different than for those ppl who just go to CC... but there are few of those lucky ones who actually only went to CC and got in.... only in Tejas though.