Community OBGYN Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n618ft

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Come from a community based school, 222 on Step 1. No step 2 for another few weeks. No research/publications but diverse work and teaching experience (nontraditional). I'd like to stay as community-based as possible and am planning on applying to 50-60 programs this cycle. Any recommendations on some programs that you guys have experience with?

Members don't see this ad.

Just FYI, If you are at a US allopathic school, and don't have any red flags on your application (failed year, clerkship, or Step), then 50-60 programs is overkill for a Step 1 score in the 220s. I'd tell someone with a score in the 190s to apply to around 40.

I have a question for you before I answer your question. When you say you want to stay "as community based as possible," do you mean you eventually want to do general private practice? Or are you hoping to work with the underserved in a community health clinic or FQHC type of setting? I ask because 'community' really just means non-university affiliated. There are community programs where residents mainly work with private practice physicians. There are others where residents work out in various urban or rural clinics. Completely different environments and patient populations. If your preference is for one, you may be miserable at the other, despite both having the 'community' label.

Not to derail the thread, but I'm from a community-based US allo school, have >255 on Step 1, straight honors 3rd year and no red flags. My department head STILL told me to apply to 50 programs (now, I'm not necessarily following that advice; I would much rather apply to ~35).

My point is that in the last few years, our schools are getting dead serious about advising students to apply super-broadly because there have been too many horror stories of well-qualified candidates who fail to match just because their rank-order list wasn't deep enough.

Not that I don't think this is all ridiculous and likely a big waste of $$, but I guess the times they are a-changin'. I would love to hear any of your thoughts, 22031Alum.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to derail the thread, but I'm from a community-based US allo school, have >255 on Step 1, straight honors 3rd year and no red flags. My department head STILL told me to apply to 50 programs (now, I'm not necessarily following that advice; I would much rather apply to ~35).

My point is that in the last few years, our schools are getting dead serious about advising students to apply super-broadly because there have been too many horror stories of well-qualified candidates who fail to match just because their rank-order list wasn't deep enough.

Not that I don't think this is all ridiculous and likely a big waste of $$, but I guess the times they are a-changin'. I would love to hear any of your thoughts, 22031Alum.

I'm not sure why they want you to apply to 50 programs unless there are some red flags we are not privy to. But with such a high Step 1 score and honors in all of your clerkship rotations sets you up pretty well to get invitations at all of the big name programs across the country to be honest. Only weakness may be in the letters department. Not saying your letters won't be glowing, but having a letter from a nationally known attending carries a lot of weight as well as having them make a phone call on your behalf. If there are no other issues with your application, you would be fine with 35 programs. I interviewed residents at a major west coast academic program and I don't recall seeing anyone with your numbers among the candidates I interviewed so that puts you in the running at the very least.

Reactions: 1 user

The times are definitely changing. I had a similar Step 1 and fewer honors (3 of 6), but came from a "big name" school (though the OB/Gyn department is not a powerhouse). I applied to 21 programs with a list that was very top-heavy, and went on 10 interviews of 17 offers. While I won't go so far as to say I wouldn't match if I had to do it again, I am sure that I would have to apply more broadly, go on more interviews, and would end up lower on my rank list. Acknowledging that things become more competitive every year, I still can't imagine that you'd need to apply to more than 30 well-chosen programs. Your advisers have a point, but for a candidate like you, a rank-order list that isn't deep enough is not the result of applying to 35 places rather than 50. A list that isn't deep enough comes from:
1) interviewing terribly
2) choosing to go to <10 interviews
3) choosing only to apply to/interview at places like Brigham or Pitt
4) choosing to leave a bunch of places off your rank list.

I definitely don't think ERAS is something to be cheap about, and casting a wide net can only help you-- it gives you the most options starting out, for sure. But once you get into the 30s, especially if looking all across the country, the rules of time and space will make it really tough to go on all those interviews anyway. (And looking at your listed location, the weather won't help either.)

Reactions: 1 user