Community pharmacy internship project

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shmy2008

What the...?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a summer internship in a community pharmacy, and part of the "requirements" for the internship is a "special project" - suggestions given in the training manual included a comparison of herbal supplements, pediatric OTC dosing chart, tracking requests for OTC items that your store doesn't carry and figuring out how much money is being lost in sales... all of which have been done before, and all of which are rather *boring.*

Does anyone have any interesting or fun suggestions that they are willing to share? I was gong to do a "Summer Beach Survival Guide" but I've been out of the country for five weeks and seeing as summer's half over, I'm thinking the idea has lost impact.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Shmy2008 said:
I'm doing a summer internship in a community pharmacy, and part of the "requirements" for the internship is a "special project" - suggestions given in the training manual included a comparison of herbal supplements, pediatric OTC dosing chart, tracking requests for OTC items that your store doesn't carry and figuring out how much money is being lost in sales... all of which have been done before, and all of which are rather *boring.*

Does anyone have any interesting or fun suggestions that they are willing to share? I was gong to do a "Summer Beach Survival Guide" but I've been out of the country for five weeks and seeing as summer's half over, I'm thinking the idea has lost impact.

Thanks!

Do a profitabilty study on custom compounding celluite cream or ointment using pure Theophylline powder which you can sell OTC as a cosmetic product.

Here's what I'm doing in a few weeks.

I'm getting a table, an automatic blood pressure cuff, and a bunch of HTN flyers. We will entice people to get their blood pressure checked by offering a $10 gift certificate to anyone who has a reading of 120/80. Then we can trick the general public into seeing if they need lifestyle modifications / pharmacotherapeutic intervention. Physicians love us and I get easy community service hours.

WVUPharm2007 said:
We will entice people to get their blood pressure checked by offering a $10 gift certificate to anyone who has a reading of 120/80.

How do you get corporate on board with handing out $10 gift certificates? At least where I work, even simple things like requisitioning a package of pens requires one to walk through fire. Contributing gift certificates to a project that doesn't directly contribute to pharmacy profitability but simply opens the patient's eyes to the accessibility and value of the pharmacist? Phhhffft, I don't think so!