Community program chief w/no in house fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a lowly PGY-1 interested in GI. Recently matched at a community IM/university affiliate with no in-house GI fellowship.

Was just wondering, is there any benefit to me if I wanted to gun for chief (elected) after 3 years besides a better LOR from my program leadership?

Also, I have heard of people from community programs doing chief years at academic institutions. How do people find these opportunities?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

A chief year is beneficial. GI is a hard fellowship to match into. A lot of people I know who did got in after they did another fellowship before.

Also gun to be a good solid intern and residency first.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

I'm a lowly PGY-1 interested in GI. Recently matched at a community IM/university affiliate with no in-house GI fellowship.

Was just wondering, is there any benefit to me if I wanted to gun for chief (elected) after 3 years besides a better LOR from my program leadership?

Also, I have heard of people from community programs doing chief years at academic institutions. How do people find these opportunities?

Thanks,

Chief year can help with matching into fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have never heard of that before. Where did you hear that?

I have never heard of that before. Where did you hear that?

Trolled the GI app thread from last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't rise to the top of your class + do significant/meaningful research (tough from an affiliate), aim for chief.
Side note- be chief because you want to be chief, too. Otherwise, it's a painful year. Especially painful if you don't match.