• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Community program chief w/no in house fellowship?

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
7+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2012
Best coast
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hello,

I'm a lowly PGY-1 interested in GI. Recently matched at a community IM/university affiliate with no in-house GI fellowship.

Was just wondering, is there any benefit to me if I wanted to gun for chief (elected) after 3 years besides a better LOR from my program leadership?

Also, I have heard of people from community programs doing chief years at academic institutions. How do people find these opportunities?

Thanks,

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
  1. Resident [Any Field]
A chief year is beneficial. GI is a hard fellowship to match into. A lot of people I know who did got in after they did another fellowship before.

Also gun to be a good solid intern and residency first.

Reactions: 1 user

boxin

5+ Year Member
Feb 8, 2016
Hello,

I'm a lowly PGY-1 interested in GI. Recently matched at a community IM/university affiliate with no in-house GI fellowship.

Was just wondering, is there any benefit to me if I wanted to gun for chief (elected) after 3 years besides a better LOR from my program leadership?

Also, I have heard of people from community programs doing chief years at academic institutions. How do people find these opportunities?

Thanks,

Chief year can help with matching into fellowship.

About the Ads

disorder

isrdero
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
If you can't rise to the top of your class + do significant/meaningful research (tough from an affiliate), aim for chief.
Side note- be chief because you want to be chief, too. Otherwise, it's a painful year. Especially painful if you don't match.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.