Community programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wolfvgang22

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researching programs to apply to in psychiatry for the upcoming Match. Though I'm applying to a wide range of programs, I have had good experiences in 3rd year with independent or community based programs. Does anyone have any recommendations of good community based psychiatry residencies?

Second, how many programs do you think is enough for a US IMG to rank in psychiatry with a step 1 of 98? Right now at this stage I have 58 programs on my may-apply to list, but I don't know if I really should apply to that many. Money is not the issue. What do you think?

Thanks again,
~W

Members don't see this ad.

I'm researching programs to apply to in psychiatry for the upcoming Match. Though I'm applying to a wide range of programs, I have had good experiences in 3rd year with independent or community based programs. Does anyone have any recommendations of good community based psychiatry residencies?

Second, how many programs do you think is enough for a US IMG to rank in psychiatry with a step 1 of 98? Right now at this stage I have 58 programs on my may-apply to list, but I don't know if I really should apply to that many. Money is not the issue. What do you think?

Thanks again,
~W

What part of the country do you want to live in?

I'm originally from Texas, so the closer to home the better; the kids can see grandma more often. So I'm most interested in the southwest and midwest regions.
But I am always open to programs with a positive, resident friendly culture that are highly recommended by others.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a community program in the southwest, I can recommend the University of Arizona/UPH consortium program in Tucson (this is a separate program from the U of A main campus program). I know the staff and residents there and can attest to its friendliness and quality of experience.

I'm originally from Texas, so the closer to home the better; the kids can see grandma more often. So I'm most interested in the southwest and midwest regions.
But I am always open to programs with a positive, resident friendly culture that are highly recommended by others.

I'm more of an "upper midwest" type, but someone on the board had had good things to say about the Austin, TX program a couple of years ago.
Looking over FRIEDA, it seems most of the Midwest programs are university affiliated, at least in name. The Kalamazoo, MI program is somewhat more community based. I've also heard very good things about the Hennepin/Regions program in Minnesota for clinical training and "positive culture". YMMV.