Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In conversing with residents regarding the process of applying to and interviewing at residencies, it has come to my understanding that many of the community surgery programs select those who have done away rotations at that program.
Sure, it makes perfect sense to select someone you are familiar with. Why go out on a limb with the chance of getting screwed later. Additionally, if someone put forth the effort to rotate through the community program, it makes sense to "reward" them for their work.
I was wondering, with hopes of enlightenment from those who may have additional insight, if it is even worth my time to apply to any community programs as I will not have rotated through any of them. Would it be a waste of time and cash (discounting credentials, board scores, and other factors being equal)?
Additionally, I'm sure not every community program operates in this manner; however, is it a somewhat fair generalization to assume that a decent number of them function this way.
Sure, it makes perfect sense to select someone you are familiar with. Why go out on a limb with the chance of getting screwed later. Additionally, if someone put forth the effort to rotate through the community program, it makes sense to "reward" them for their work.
I was wondering, with hopes of enlightenment from those who may have additional insight, if it is even worth my time to apply to any community programs as I will not have rotated through any of them. Would it be a waste of time and cash (discounting credentials, board scores, and other factors being equal)?
Additionally, I'm sure not every community program operates in this manner; however, is it a somewhat fair generalization to assume that a decent number of them function this way.