Community to Specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pillpushinjael

Reaction score
Hi all! I’m considering making the switch to specialty. My current job is in the community and my staffis good but between shots, testing and all the other responsibilities it’s a bit much. More tasks added no compensation.

I know it would be an adjustment from being in such a fast-paced (at times high stress) environment. I also hear it can be boring at times but that’s the only negative I’ve heard.

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work in a specialty pharmacy setting and I highly recommend it.
It is still a fast-paced environment due to constant phone calls and filling out adverse event reports and REMS documents in between (unless you like to stay after work to complete them), but nothing like retail.
Data entry is 100% done by technicians, billing department handles all insurance claims, and all non-clinical phone calls are handled by the patient outreach team.
As a pharmacist, you will be on the phone most of the times counseling patients and communicating with doctor's offices.
I have worked at a major retail chain, supermarket pharmacy, long term care, and currently working per-diem at a hospital in addition to my full-time role at a specialty pharmacy, and I can say with full confidence that specialty pharmacy provides the best work-life balance (most specialty pharmacies are only open M-F with all holidays off and no evening/overnight shifts) and least stress among all the job I had.
Another factor is that unlike retail sector, specialty field is expanding (at least for now), which provides better opportunities and job security in my opinion.
Also, unlike hospitals, most specialty pharmacy HR and pharmacists do not have negative bias towards retail pharmacists, and are willing to hire and train.
If you have an opportunity to switch ships, I strongly recommend you to do so.

Reactions: 1 user
It is still a fast-paced environment due to constant phone calls and filling out adverse event reports and REMS documents in between (unless you like to stay after work to complete them), but nothing like retail.
Data entry is 100% done by technicians, billing department handles all insurance claims, and all non-clinical phone calls are handled by the patient outreach team.
As a pharmacist, you will be on the phone most of the times counseling patients and communicating with doctor's offices.
I have worked at a major retail chain, supermarket pharmacy, long term care, and currently working per-diem at a hospital in addition to my full-time role at a specialty pharmacy, and I can say with full confidence that specialty pharmacy provides the best work-life balance (most specialty pharmacies are only open M-F with all holidays off and no evening/overnight shifts) and least stress among all the job I had.
Another factor is that unlike retail sector, specialty field is expanding (at least for now), which provides better opportunities and job security in my opinion.
Also, unlike hospitals, most specialty pharmacy HR and pharmacists do not have negative bias towards retail pharmacists, and are willing to hire and train.

If you don’t mind telling, what exactly do you do? I mean I know you counsel patients but do you have any metrics to meet? I have heard they track time you spend counseling patients and each call has to last at least 5 minutes. Also, there are days when you are doing remote data verification and if you make certain number of mistakes, you are out. Is this all true?

Members don't see this ad :)

When you say specialty, do you mean a pharmacy that only dispenses "specialty" meds?

Example: The independent my wife works at recently dispensed Skyrizi and the PBM representative was baffled as to why we were filling it instead of a specialty pharmacy.

If you don’t mind telling, what exactly do you do? I mean I know you counsel patients but do you have any metrics to meet? I have heard they track time you spend counseling patients and each call has to last at least 5 minutes. Also, there are days when you are doing remote data verification and if you make certain number of mistakes, you are out. Is this all true?

Think of it as an MTM but focused on one disease state. For example, my specialty pharmacy does oncology medications only and big portion of counseling focuses on the oncology regimen. All counseling covers administration, storage, precautions, side effects, and drug interactions, and depending on the medications, we make sure that patients are prescribed allopurinol, prednisone, dexamethasone, and other prophylactic measures to minimize tumor lysis syndrome. We also try to get antiemetics and antidiarrheal for patients proactively in case they do not have them handy. Counseling is usually very interactive since most cancer patients understandably have major concerns and plenty of questions about their chemo drugs. Also, this is the first job where I could genuinely feel that the patient or patient's caregivers are truly appreciative for the counseling I provide with almost every consultation session, which keeps my morale high and motivates me to provide better patient care and service. Definitely never been cursed out or yelled at like how it was when I was working in a retail setting. Also, since most specialty pharmacies do not handle controlled substances, you will not be part of any dramas involving narcotics and early fills. Also, pharmacovigilance is another huge aspect of our job. We do lots of adverse event reporting to various manufacturers and the FDA.

Upper management does time you to the exact second on your time on and off the phone. I know this sounds like micromanagement to the the next level, but it really isn't too bad because as long as you are logged into phones and ready to answer calls for the majority of the shift, they do not care (at least at my place). There is no phone quota such as how many calls you have to answer or dial out per shift as long as you are logged into the phone system, which is fair in my opinion since most pharmacists use and need the down time in phones to complete adverse event reports and other various documents. My company does not require calls to last for 5 minutes, but even if this was the case, it is not difficult to achieve because most counseling goes beyond 5 minutes without much effort. It would actually be much more difficult to finish the call within 5 minutes given the extensive counseling we must provide with oncolytic agents. Also, I heard if you make more than 3 mistakes per year, you can be shown the door although I have not seen this written anywhere. However, I've never seen or heard this happening to anyone, and frankly, this is no different from other practice settings. I know some places will say that they never fire anyone for making mistakes as long as its reported, but we all know that's not true. While all medications can cause serious adverse reactions, oncology drugs are on class of its own when it comes down to potential adverse events when taken incorrectly due to verification or dispensing error. I am sure companies do not want any law suits arising from medication errors either, so in order to protect patients and themselves, I am certain similar policies (written or unwritten) are at pretty much all specialty pharmacies. Also, you have to think about the amount of chargeback the specialty pharmacy will face when there is an error with the prescription. We are not talking about few hundred bucks or even few thousand bucks, but around 30k per a monthly prescription. If one pharmacist is causing near $100k loss to the company in a year due to not being careful, then I think it is fair for the company to reevaluate their staffing needs.

Hope this answers your questions!

Reactions: 3 users
When you say specialty, do you mean a pharmacy that only dispenses "specialty" meds?

Example: The independent my wife works at recently dispensed Skyrizi and the PBM representative was baffled as to why we were filling it instead of a specialty pharmacy.

Yes, correct. We dispense non-specialty drugs here and there but it always supplements the specialty drugs we dispense.
For example, we may dispense allopurinol, prednisone, ondansetron, olanzapine with certain oncology drugs, but never meds that have no place in chemotherapy regimen.
I am surprised that the independent pharmacy dispensed a specialty drug as well since there is a huge financial risk associated with it. I am also surprised PBM allowed it instead of rejecting the claim and referring the patient to a specialty pharmacy.

Think of it as an MTM but focused on one disease state. For example, my specialty pharmacy does oncology medications only and big portion of counseling focuses on the oncology regimen. All counseling covers administration, storage, precautions, side effects, and drug interactions, and depending on the medications, we make sure that patients are prescribed allopurinol, prednisone, dexamethasone, and other prophylactic measures to minimize tumor lysis syndrome. We also try to get antiemetics and antidiarrheal for patients proactively in case they do not have them handy. Counseling is usually very interactive since most cancer patients understandably have major concerns and plenty of questions about their chemo drugs. Also, this is the first job where I could genuinely feel that the patient or patient's caregivers are truly appreciative for the counseling I provide with almost every consultation session, which keeps my morale high and motivates me to provide better patient care and service. Definitely never been cursed out or yelled at like how it was when I was working in a retail setting. Also, since most specialty pharmacies do not handle controlled substances, you will not be part of any dramas involving narcotics and early fills. Also, pharmacovigilance is another huge aspect of our job. We do lots of adverse event reporting to various manufacturers and the FDA.

Upper management does time you to the exact second on your time on and off the phone. I know this sounds like micromanagement to the the next level, but it really isn't too bad because as long as you are logged into phones and ready to answer calls for the majority of the shift, they do not care (at least at my place). There is no phone quota such as how many calls you have to answer or dial out per shift as long as you are logged into the phone system, which is fair in my opinion since most pharmacists use and need the down time in phones to complete adverse event reports and other various documents. My company does not require calls to last for 5 minutes, but even if this was the case, it is not difficult to achieve because most counseling goes beyond 5 minutes without much effort. It would actually be much more difficult to finish the call within 5 minutes given the extensive counseling we must provide with oncolytic agents. Also, I heard if you make more than 3 mistakes per year, you can be shown the door although I have not seen this written anywhere. However, I've never seen or heard this happening to anyone, and frankly, this is no different from other practice settings. I know some places will say that they never fire anyone for making mistakes as long as its reported, but we all know that's not true. While all medications can cause serious adverse reactions, oncology drugs are on class of its own when it comes down to potential adverse events when taken incorrectly due to verification or dispensing error. I am sure companies do not want any law suits arising from medication errors either, so in order to protect patients and themselves, I am certain similar policies (written or unwritten) are at pretty much all specialty pharmacies. Also, you have to think about the amount of chargeback the specialty pharmacy will face when there is an error with the prescription. We are not talking about few hundred bucks or even few thousand bucks, but around 30k per a monthly prescription. If one pharmacist is causing near $100k loss to the company in a year due to not being careful, then I think it is fair for the company to reevaluate their staffing needs.

Hope this answers your questions!

Thanks. How did you find this job? Was it through simply applying on indeed or was it though networking? I know someone who jumped the ship from retail to specialty but he knew someone in specialty who previously had worked with him in retail.

Thanks. How did you find this job? Was it through simply applying on indeed or was it though networking? I know someone who jumped the ship from retail to specialty but he knew someone in specialty who previously had worked with him in retail.
Just like most non-retail jobs in pharmacy nowadays, you either have to have relevant experience, know someone who has influence over hiring decision, or have to be at the right place at the right time. For me, it was the latter. Found a job posting on Indeed and applied. However, I did not jump from retail to specialty directly but had experiences in other settings in between (LTC and hospital), which could have helped. However, majority of my colleagues made the switch directly from retail/independent setting (as far as I know, they all applied without being referred by any internal employee), so just keep applying whenever you see a position. Specialty pharmacy is one of the few pharmacy fields that are actually expanding even in 2021, and chances are that if they posted a job opening, they intend to fill it ASAP.

Yes, correct. We dispense non-specialty drugs here and there but it always supplements the specialty drugs we dispense.
For example, we may dispense allopurinol, prednisone, ondansetron, olanzapine with certain oncology drugs, but never meds that have no place in chemotherapy regimen.
I am surprised that the independent pharmacy dispensed a specialty drug as well since there is a huge financial risk associated with it. I am also surprised PBM allowed it instead of rejecting the claim and referring the patient to a specialty pharmacy.

What is the huge financial risk?

Why should a regular pharmacy not be able to dispense chemo, monocolonal antibodies, etc? What does a "specialty pharmacy" do that qualifies them for that?

What is the huge financial risk?

Why should a regular pharmacy not be able to dispense chemo, monocolonal antibodies, etc? What does a "specialty pharmacy" do that qualifies them for that?

Huge financial risk due to the possibility of chargebacks. I know this may sound crazy but just because it was approved at the time of dispensing, that does not mean it was truly approved, especially for high-cost specialty medications. PBM can reclaim the reimbursement and all of a sudden the pharmacy is out of whatever the cost of Skyrizi is, which I am guessing is at least 20k. Sure, you can fight for it but no guarantee you will get it back. This is why many pharmacy software used by major retail pharmacies will put a hard stop whenever high cost specialty drugs are entered into the system even before billing the insurance to either transfer the script to their own specialty pharmacies or assess the reimbursement rate to minimize this risk.
For your second question, you need to ask the PBMs since they are making it near impossible for non-specialty pharmacies to dispense many of specialty drugs by either not providing a contract or reimbursing below costs. All licensed pharmacies should be able to dispense any drugs (I mean they are licensed pharmacies after all) but it does not make financial sense for many independents. Specialty pharmacies have better contracts, reimbursement rates, and pricing with not only the PBMs but the manufacturers (one of the reasons why specialty pharmacies file AE reports and REMS documents to the manufacturers is due to their contract with them) to dispense such drugs and limited distribution drugs, which makes their business model much more sustainable. For this reason, I would not say that specialty pharmacies are more "qualified" than regular pharmacies, but their business model and contracts with PBMs and manufacturers make them more sustainable.

Huge financial risk due to the possibility of chargebacks. I know this may sound crazy but just because it was approved at the time of dispensing, that does not mean it was truly approved, especially for high-cost specialty medications. PBM can reclaim the reimbursement and all of a sudden the pharmacy is out of whatever the cost of Skyrizi is, which I am guessing is at least 20k. Sure, you can fight for it but no guarantee you will get it back. This is why many pharmacy software used by major retail pharmacies will put a hard stop whenever high cost specialty drugs are entered into the system even before billing the insurance to either transfer the script to their own specialty pharmacies or assess the reimbursement rate to minimize this risk.
For your second question, you need to ask the PBMs since they are making it near impossible for non-specialty pharmacies to dispense many of specialty drugs by either not providing a contract or reimbursing below costs. All licensed pharmacies should be able to dispense any drugs (I mean they are licensed pharmacies after all) but it does not make financial sense for many independents. Specialty pharmacies have better contracts, reimbursement rates, and pricing with not only the PBMs but the manufacturers (one of the reasons why specialty pharmacies file AE reports and REMS documents to the manufacturers is due to their contract with them) to dispense such drugs and limited distribution drugs, which makes their business model much more sustainable. For this reason, I would not say that specialty pharmacies are more "qualified" than regular pharmacies, but their business model and contracts with PBMs and manufacturers make them more sustainable.

Example with Skyrizi. So one of the things we noticed was that our system has it built to be dispensed as a quantity of 1.66 mL for a one box. When we bill it though, the cost is about $16k and we are getting paid $27k. One of the partners thought that was weird that he usually sees reimbursement as $18-19k. Is there a mismatch between what the software is billing and what the Caremark software thinks one box is?

Example with Skyrizi. So one of the things we noticed was that our system has it built to be dispensed as a quantity of 1.66 mL for a one box. When we bill it though, the cost is about $16k and we are getting paid $27k. One of the partners thought that was weird that he usually sees reimbursement as $18-19k. Is there a mismatch between what the software is billing and what the Caremark software thinks one box is?
Just based on the reimbursement rate, I am fairly certain there is a discrepancy between the two software. Even specialty pharmacies do not get reimbursed anywhere near that rate. My guess is that your software was supposed to bill for a qty of 1 instead of 1.66 ml. In this case, it's $27k/1.66, which comes down to $16,265 as the reimbursement for a $16k med, which makes more sense.

Thank you so much for this information. You’re right it is a growing company. Schedule is M-F no holidays or weekends. I enjoy interacting with people and was afraid I’d miss that from retail, but it seems talking to these patients on the phone would fill that desire. The opportunity is truly great and it sounds silly to even second guess taking it.

This plus a lot more. A lot of chargebacks are on things a retail/independent doesn't know or have little control of.

A lot of specialty drugs have specific requirements to order and dispense. Some specialty drugs require you to not stock certain drugs, requires a lot of reporting, documentation, and monitoring. Are we documenting BSA? Levels? Did the patient experience any side effects. Pfizer for Example requires us to report patient pick up refill date etc.

One small miss and the pharmacy is out of a lot of money. another thing is unless the provider have a lot of experience( usually learning from their mistakes), the provider will send in the wrong prescription. loading vs maintenance dose, formulation (pen, Pfs, auto injectors), or dose humira 40/0.4 or 0.8Ml, etc.

It might not be the pharmacy's fault but as with all things, it ends up on the pharmacy.