Community vs. Univ. Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nittanylion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an MS4 (DO) with a strong heme/onc interest working on my IM rank list. I'm struggling between mid-tier university and community IM programs that all have in-house h/o fellowship.

If I want to eventually practice community heme/onc, should I still be aiming for a university based residency and fellowship? I noticed many of the community fellowship programs don't have in-house BMT, CAR T-cell, ect. Is this a big deal? Would I be a lesser job candidate/oncologist down the road if I don't train at XYZ academic institution?

I obviously want to be prepared as possible after training and wonder if I would be selling myself short if I don't pursue the university route. The community IM programs seem like a great fit but I don't want to overlook any implications that a community fellowship has on strength of clinical training/exposure or later job opportunities. I noticed that the community fellowships also tend to keep their own IM grads, which is a plus.

If anyone has experience with this or any thoughts it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No, it won't make you a lesser oncologist if you don't train at XYZ institution; if you want to be a community oncologist then the only thing that matters is that you ultimately train where you want to practice (esp in desirable areas like Manhattan or Cali). Otherwise it's pretty much moot. You're probably not going to be doing much BMT and CAR-T as a community oncologist so it's not a big deal if the place you go to doesn't have too much BMT going on (although most places will rotate through BMT programs at other institutions if they don't have access to this) and if you're interested in this stuff, you can always do a 1 year super fellowship afterwards. That said, if you change your mind down the line (esp since you're still so early in your career), going to a university program will certainly keep more doors open for you, but otherwise it doesn't really matter too much. Just go where you'd want to stay. That beats going to "University X" in podunk nowhere and getting swooped on a job by the local community grad with good connections in the city - not that this happens often but the local grad DOES tend to know where to apply/ which places have openings (for instance I can tell you EXACTLY which Manhattan hospitals have job openings right now, when to apply, who to email, what they look for, and what would be the best fit for you just because I've spent so much time here).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Overall going to big city programs with national name recognition will make you appear as a competitive candidate for most any job.
That said, if you know where you want to be, you will still be able to get a job as an oncologist. There is a great need for us in the US.

Reactions: 1 user