jocg27

10+ Year Member
May 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hey all,

Wondering how long it takes everyone to get to work!

How long does it take you?

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I chose to live close but not too close to the hospital. I actually looked at a place that was a 5 minute walk from the hospital and passed on it b/c of it's proximity. I need some space. That's another reason that Cornell and Sinai went lower on my list than they otherwise would have. I couldn't afford to live in decent commute distance w/o living in resident on-campus housing.

I ended up living about 3 miles away. It's a 20 minute bike ride on the way in (it's straight up hill about 600 ft of altitude gain) and 5 minutes on the way home. I think the most of a commute I'd want to have is about 30 minutes.

BE (now PE)

About the Ads

BigBadBix

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2000
Visit site
Status
Depending on the hospital and time of day, 15-35 minutes. But it's worth it because I get to come home to my great new house instead of a cramped apartment in the city.

funkless

Apatheist, Anestheologist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2003
Where'd Your Pleasure Go?
Visit site
Status
Medical Student
Question: What, roughly, is the furthest you should be from the hospital if you're going into a field with home call? Is there an assumption that you can be there in of ten minutes, or is it okay to mosey in half an hour later?

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
funkless said:
Question: What, roughly, is the furthest you should be from the hospital if you're going into a field with home call? Is there an assumption that you can be there in of ten minutes, or is it okay to mosey in half an hour later?
This is a little bit of a reach, but I think the ACS standard (surgeons can correct me) for a level I trauma center for a leveled trauma that gets an attending surgeon is 20 minutes.

That can serve as a guideline, I guess, but, at the same time, it's kind of nebulous about anything that you may be needed for that emergently kind of leans against home call. However, this has to be balanced against staffing, so I think you see what I mean.

Skrubz

Not your scut monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2003
Palo Alto, CA
Visit site
Status
Depending on the hospital I'm rotating at, i'm anywhere from 10-15 minutes to 30 minutes away (all by car). When we're on home-call rotations, we're expected to be able show up within 30 minutes.

I'd personally want to live no further than 30 minutes away, because that's already an hour wasted every day...

lvspro

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Apollyon said:
That can serve as a guideline, I guess, but, at the same time, it's kind of nebulous about anything that you may be needed for that emergently kind of leans against home call. However, this has to be balanced against staffing, so I think you see what I mean.
:confused:

Apollyon

Screw the GST
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2002
SCREW IT!
lvspro said:
If a problem is so emergent that you have to be there within 20 minutes (and that in-house staff can't handle it until you get there), that leans towards in-house call. However, if there's only 2 people (or no residents), or other staffing issues, that's the other side of the coin.

fiatslug

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2000
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
In commute traffic... 50 min to an hr + 10 minutes. At 3 am on home call: 35 minutes door to door (in my program--psych--we have an hour from time paged to get to the ED. Lately I've just been staying in our sucky call room b/c of my Category 5 Black Cloud).

My commute--now in its 3rd year :eek: --is ghastly and soul-sucking, but good for my family (we're done living in the city--we rent a farmhouse and are surrounded by hiking trails). Still, just about every morning I vow "never again"--when next we move, I refuse to be more than 20-30 min away from my workplace. I'm totally envious of people with no commutes!

sepsis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
7-15min this year, 20-30 next year

medgator

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Having a short commute is priceless as an intern. I was 10-15 to the main hospital (with traffic-- probably 6-8 without). I could literally walk to the other hospital. This was really nice on ICU/floor months where the last thing I wanted to do at 12 noon post-call was drive 30-45 mins on the road to get back home. Plus it was just plain old nice for pre-rounding.

Mumpu

Burninator, MD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2004
Status
From home, anywhere between a 3 minute walk and a 15 minute drive. Worst case (from farthest hospital to &^^$^#$#%$ continuity clinic) is about 25 minutes.

Sohalia

namaste
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Status
From the garage to wherever at NWMH I like to give myself 40 min and be a little early. It's only about 5-6 miles but the traffic and walk time adds minutes. Now that my condo is coming together (just got curtains!) I think it's totally worth it. I just have a lot of things that I wouldn't have had if I'd stayed closer to the hospital. Of course once I'm home I don't bother trying to do anything downtown (or whatever the area around the hospital is considered). I love being settled at home! :)

About the Ads