Commuting to pharmacy school please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash2016

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I could really use some advice. I am starting pharmacy school this fall and I am really stressed out about my commute. It will be a distance of 35 miles and about 40-45 minutes of driving each way. I know it could be a lot worse but I will be going 5 days a week starting class at 8:30 am. Would it be doable? Should I move closer? I prefer not to move but I don't know how intense the workload will be and I don't want to make a poor decision that will interfere with school. :(
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone
I could really use some advice. I am starting pharmacy school this fall and I am really stressed out about my commute. It will be a distance of 35 miles and about 40-45 minutes of driving each way. I know it could be a lot worse but I will be going 5 days a week starting class at 8:30 am. Would it be doable? Should I move closer? I prefer not to move but I don't know how intense the workload will be and I don't want to make a poor decision that will interfere with school. :(
Thank you
you would be saving tens of thousands of dollars by commuting so count yourself lucky. 45 minutes drive ain't that bad but you gotta leave atleast 2 hours early incase of unforseen circumstances. I would suggest you find friends who leave close to campus that would allow you spend the night with them a day before exams. This would prevent you from missing the exam or coming late.. if this doesn't work the first semester then you can go ahead and move closer.

Depends how you value your time vs. money, how much you're saving, your study habits, neighborhood safety, etc. Too many factors. But how I see it: On one hand, you'll get used to the commute. On the other, you can make more money but time you can't get back. It's really up to you.

Reactions: 1 user
I know people who had your commute and successfully finished pharmacy school, so yes, it's possible. Whether or not it's best for you to move depends on a lot of other factors, like whether it's cheaper to live where you currently live or closer to school, what your commute to work would be like if you have a job, or if you don't have a job, where the intern opportunities are in relation to where you live.

Also, bear in mind that you're probably not stuck at your current location forever; you could always stay where you are for a year and see how it goes and then move closer to school if necessary.