COMP rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enilojna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this and just have a question about where to do rotations. I'm still an undergrad student at CSUN and haven't taken any premed classes yet...so here goes...

I'm interested in going to Western U COMP but if say i want to go to Yale for an Anesthesiology residency, should I (or can I) do my rotations at Yale? Or does it matter where I do them? I'd like to stay in so. Cal, but if it's better to move to New Haven, CT, then I i will.

Thanks in advance.
Anjoline

Members don't see this ad.

Why the interest in Western U COMP? You are very early in your premed career. Why not aim for one of the UC med schools? They are cheaper and have a better rep than Western. Just work hard and make it happen for yourself. I doubt you will have trouble matching in any anesthesia program after a decent showing at any of the UC medical schools.

nimbus said:
Why the interest in Western U COMP? You are very early in your premed career. Why not aim for one of the UC med schools? They are cheaper and have a better rep than Western. Just work hard and make it happen for yourself. I doubt you will have trouble matching in any anesthesia program after a decent showing at any of the UC medical schools.

Thanks for the advice. Actually, I'm a nontrad student. I've messed up my undergrad pretty bad, and have a year to bring up my GPA. (i have a 2.8 right now). After I graduate, I was going to take my postbaccs at CalPoly Pomona since it's a quarter system and I can be done by Spring '08. I'm a massage therapist right now and really relate to the DO route. If I do get into an allo school, I'll still might want to learn OMM after.

If I raise my GPA to at least a 3.0, and then shine when I take my post bacc classes, will my new GPA make a big difference? Or am I doomed with my undergrad GPA?

Thanks again for replying. :)

enilojna said:
Thanks for the advice. Actually, I'm a nontrad student. I've messed up my undergrad pretty bad, and have a year to bring up my GPA. (i have a 2.8 right now). After I graduate, I was going to take my postbaccs at CalPoly Pomona since it's a quarter system and I can be done by Spring '08. I'm a massage therapist right now and really relate to the DO route. If I do get into an allo school, I'll still might want to learn OMM after.

If I raise my GPA to at least a 3.0, and then shine when I take my post bacc classes, will my new GPA make a big difference? Or am I doomed with my undergrad GPA?

Thanks again for replying. :)
Enilojna..... You won't make it into a UC med school with even a 3.6 from Cal State Northridge or Cal Poly Pomona. WesternU may consider you if you can get at least a 28 on the mcat and have a good osteopathic story. Just focus all your attention on getting into any med school. Let me take that back..... Worry about General Chemistry this year, Organic Chem and Physics next year.....and so on and so forth...... :) Worry about residency when the proper time comes.

Dr. Feelgood
B.S. Biology '97 Cal Poly Pomona
D.O. '02 Western U-COMP
Anesthesia Residency '06 Tufts-New England Medical Center (Boston)
Private Practice August '06.......priceless :thumbup: