COMP students/alumni-HELP! =)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Luwi25

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I recently have been admitted into COMP, AZCOM, TUCOM, UHS and KCOM. I really loved AZCOM and UHS but love COMP because it is close to my family and fiance. I also recently attended an Osteopathic Awareness Conference offered by WesternU, and left feeling quite enthused about the school and their program.

I'm in a quandry, however. Although I hear a lot of great things about COMP from students/interviewees, I've also been coming across more and more little "tidbits" of an unflattering nature (i.e. BAD things going on with their administration and their medical center, immaturity and lack of focus on the part of some students, a bogus laptop fee, unfavorable rotation sites, residency matches, etc.).

I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the "real" WU-COMP from D.O. students there or at any other osteopathic schools, or even those who applied/considered applying but did not attend.

For example, how does WU-COMP compare with other D.O. schools in the country? Is it truly a "respected" institution? As I wish to practice in California, would I experience any roadblocks as a graduate of WU-COMP? As students, are there things that you WISH you had known BEFORE entering as a student and have these things affected your decision to attend COMP? Any regrets? I also WANT to hear the good things about COMP!

Right now my decision is btwn COMP, UHS, AZCOM..I need to make the deposit by December!

Thank you in advance to all those who would help me with this very important decision in my life!:D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just going to tell you my story and then I think you should do a search on SDN about COMP. I think you'll find it interesting.

I was accepted by LECOM and COMP at the end of last year to start in August 2003. I was all set to go to COMP when I started hearing really horrible things about it both online and from current students. When I went back to campus in June to look for an apartment people would actually tell me "don't come here. If you have any other options, take it". Well, between really hating all that damned smog in the valley, the crappy first 2 years of classroom education, the unhappiness of the students, and all the lawsuits/IRS investigations/the dean leaving the med school, etc. I decided to wait it out a year and accept an early decision slot from Touro. I have a good friend that'll be starting out there next year as well and everyone I've talked to that's going to Touro seems happy with the school. I'm not saying it doesn't have problems too, but it just seemed like a better fit. Look, you've got choices. Think about it all very carefully before you jump in. I know that EVERYONE seems to love AZCOM and UHS (I've never heard anybody say anything bad about either of them) and I know that UHS and KCOM are more well respected that COMP.

Just my opinion.

I did do a search on SDN and the info that was useful was from 2000 or 2001. I'd really like more CURRENT opinions.

Anyone? Help? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I think Elysium made a mistake by giving up COMP just to wait another year for TUCOM. TUCOM isn't all that much better especially since TUCOM's rotations are all over CA and you can't even stay in the bay area to do them.

Anyways, Luwi, one reason why I like COMP so much is that I've found out alot of information about them. I am pretty much set on entering into family practice in CA so I went to frieda and looked up all the CA family practice residencies in southern CA.

There were about 20 of them including USC, UCLA, Loma Linda medical centers and other decent family practice programs. Of course, most of these residencies had MDs but there were 3 or 4 DOs per program that were in these residencies and all came from COMP. I saw none from TUCOM or any of the other DO schools.

COMP has the upper hand because it is established in southern CA and most students eventually stay in southern CA. I'm not sure about other specialties but I'm pretty sure for the primary care specialties, COMP graduates dominate in southern CA.

You can take this information with a grain of salt but even though the area isn't as nice, and the education may not be as great, the results show that they must be doing a good job.

Originally posted by Slickness
There were about 20 of them including USC, UCLA, Loma Linda medical centers and other decent family practice programs. Of course, most of these residencies had MDs but there were 3 or 4 DOs per program that were in these residencies and all came from COMP. I saw none from TUCOM or any of the other DO schools.

Remember how long TOURO has been around... not that long, i.e., not many grads.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Remember how long TOURO has been around... not that long
Exactly, that's my point when comparing TUCOM and COMP.

I went to AZCOM which was OK. We heard through the grapevine about COMP being somewhat corrupt and that the professors had very poor english-speaking skills. I don't know the accuracy of that info because it is mostly hearsay and now about 2 years old...

Also the COMP neighborhood is terrible, whereas the AZCOM area is very safe.

I have a good friend who went to UHS and he had no complaints. That school too is however in a terrible neighborhood. Things to think about when you are trucking in/out of the library at wee hours of the day.

I'm a 4th year student and here's what I have to say:

I don't have many complaints about the first 2 years. Some professors were good, others were bad, but this is the norm at every medical school. My only gripe is the school doesn't actively prepare you for boards (except for the 2-3 profs that offer some pearls) but for the most part you are on your own.

IT'S THE LAST 2 YEARS YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT. When I started my 3rd year, I was just happy to be out of the classroom and see patients. But as I started my 4th year, I started thinking about where my money was going. It definitely wasn't going to most of the hospitals I rotated through, and none of my clinical preceptors/attendings were being paid (except for CME credits). Although COMP has 50+ hospital "associations", this doesn't mean they are "affiliated". About 1/2 of them are affiliated, and most of them don't receive any money for student education or meals. This is worse in the 4th year, when you go and do your elective rotations at hospitals that have residency programs you're interested in. Most charge a fee to do a rotation, and if you think the school will cover it...forget it! I asked if the school would pay my $75 fee to do a rotation at a hospital and their response was "No, it's not affiliated". Okay, let me get this straight..I pay you guys $32,000/year, you cover my meals at 1 of the 5 hospitals I rotated through, don't pay my preceptors any money and you won't pay for my measly $75 fee? There's something wrong here...

And the rotations office...what a disaster. I stopped setting up my rotations through the office because they either "forgot" about me or the turnaround time was too long. So, I went ahead and started setting up my own rotations and got the school's "formal permission" after the hospital or preceptor accepted me. Why am I paying this much to do their work?

And education....you may already know there are no shelf exams. So, to justify the tuition, there's the famous "Essentials of Family Medicine (EFM) project", an online project with 15 questions with 5-7 subparts that require you to type out the answers and submit around a 25+ document. Basically, it's homework. So, no formal lectures and no faculty teaching you, at least not from COMP.

The Dean of the school is gone, and so is the Dean of Clinical Rotations. Many changes are being made as we speak, and I've been told (I know this is heresay) from some 3rd years that they are now trying to decrease the # of rotation sites. So if you are coming to COMP because of the "rotation opportunities", you should really ask what changes are being made and if there really will be a change in the # of sites.

Be informed and make an intelligent decision! I was blown away 4 years ago at the OMAC conference too but after going through it, I wish I did more research. No one ever talks about the clinical years because most pre-meds are interested the classes themselves.

hope this helps..

xxyyzz

xxyyzz,
You paint a very bleak picture of COMP. Is it really that bad? Can someone refute this experience? COMP is one of my top choices and I'd hate for my bubble to be bursted.:(

Slickness: This is purely my experiences alone...I cannot say for the rest of the class, but I am willing to bet theirs are similar.

My rotations were strong in themselves, but it had nothing to do with the school except for getting their "formal permission".

I think people should be aware of what you are paying for. If you ask the school for a printout for specifically where our money is going, you won't see an itemized list. Trust me.

Med school is med school. For years COMP has graduated strong physicians. But I for one cannot say it's because the school had an active role in it! Maybe it was fine back in the day of $1,000/semester tuition, but when you're paying 32K/year, you question a lot more.

xxyyzz

I second that Slickness...this new info on the 3rd and 4th year rotations does paint a bleak picture. Are there positive changes being made to the rotation program? Have you figured out where your money does go then if not to "non-affiliated" rotation sites? Also, does COMP pay for you to get a COMLEX prep course like Kaplan to prepare you for the boards? What is the most recent 1st time board pass rate for COMP?

Anyone's info on this would be really helpful during most of our very critical decision making process.

Thanks a bunch!

I guess the question to ask is that if other schools are different from COMP in the areas that xxyyzz mentioned.

Do other schools pay for your fees at a rotation site that's not affiliated? Do other schools have rotations office that disappoint their students? Are other schools decreasing their rotation sites? even if they decreased their rotation sites, what does that mean and what are their reasons behind it? Why did the dean of COMP leave?

I'd hate to think that the reasons are because COMP just wants to screw their students over, as subtly suggested by xxyyzz.

I have no answers to these questions and I'd appreciate anyone would could answer them. After visited the schools and talked to many students myself, I felt that COMP is a school of integrity and didn't think that they are out to screw their students. But of course I was probably not talking to the right people, since they were only in their 1st yr and 2nd yr.

I don't know what POSITIVE changes are being made for rotations, just that there are changes being made, specifically about the # of sites (again, let me re-iterate that this is second hand info from a 3rd year class officer).

Where my money goes...the way i figure, the school pays their office staff and there's malpractice insurance. But there is still a lot of money unaccounted. I mean, ~380 3rd and 4th year students x $32,000 = $$$$$$. Who knows where the money goes.

And No, COMP does not pay for a Board prep course. Our class did fundraising and it helped pay for coffee/donuts in the morning. The class officers said there just wasn't enough to pay for everyone, so this is what they did.

I've heard different things about the pass rate for COMP. I think we had like 15 people fail it. I've heard numbers ranging from 88-92% for the 3rd years. It always seemed like everyone had a different answer.

And that's the facts.

xxyyzz

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if the school is "actively" trying to screw us over, but I (and you) have every right to know where your money is going. But, you make very good points and every applicant should take that into consideration.

xxyyzz

Hey Slickness,

I have absolutely NO regrets about not spending $200,000 at a place where I knew I would be miserable. I didn't want my money going to COMP for a lot of the reasons that xxyyzz mentioned. I think he/she represents COMP fairly accurately (from what I can tell).

I also took this year to reapply to the TX schools. I wanted to see if I could get accepted in state, but I will go to TUCOM very happily if I don't get into a TX school.

I'm too old to be miserable at a second rate med school.

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Elysium
I'm too old to be miserable at a second rate med school.

:rolleyes:
:laugh: I guess although I don't believe it's second rate. I guess it all depends on you. However, since you are from Texas, if you have to leave anyways I'd recommend looking at other schools besides TUCOM. There may be better DO schools out there including TCOM.

A whole year off just seems like a tough price to pay since as you said, you are already old. Although, if I remember correctly from a pic of Brian's you don't look that bad.;)

I really DO NOT want this thread to be a COMP vs TUCOM thread...we've been there and done that in the past. I really do not care about TUCOM at this point because I didn't send the 2k and missed the deadline already. I didn't care to go there and didn't get a good vibe.

My concern is COMP....

We've heard loud and clear from xxyyzz...thanks so much for your valuable input. Any other people have anything to say about this? Any more 3rd/4th/COMP residents have any opinions about choosing to go to COMP?

Any input will be so helpful right now because I only have a month to decide between COMP, AZCOM and UHS (deadline is early December for the deposit).

Thanks! :)

Basically xxyyzz's main complaint is that he doesn't know where his tuition money is going during his clinical years since the sites are not getting paid and rotation office is not helpful.

What I want to know, is that commen for other med schools as well?

Otherwise xxyyzz mentioned that he has had strong clinical training, although the school did not actively help him to get what he wanted.

Personally I think the 3 major affiliated hospitals that COMP has are quite good -- Arrowhead, Downey, and Long Beach. I think I'll be very happy to rotate at these hospitals but of course I don't know what's out there yet. Something else better might attract me and I guess at that time I'd feel xxyyzz's pain when I have to set them up myself. But I wonder if I'd have to do the same thing if I had gone to another school?

For me, I like the location of COMP and every student that I talked to told me that they really liked the school. Honestly I think I will become the type of doctor that I want to be no matter which school I go to, but "where would I want to live for 4 years of stressful lifestyle" is a question that weighs more for me.

Slickness,

I am old (30)! I just photograph well.

;)

Anyway, I think if you guys want to go to COMP go. But what I really think is funny is that most of the people that are pro-COMP are so because of proximity to family/friends or are from SoCal. I agree that it's important to go to med school close to the people you care about (at least in theory), but do know that COMP does have problems. I don't think anyone is going to tell you differently. Obviously, though, all schools have problems, it's just a matter of what **** you can deal with.

I do think that if you talk to some AZCOM or UHS students you will find, in the main, that they are much happier.

Again, just my .02

Originally posted by Elysium
But what I really think is funny is that most of the people that are pro-COMP are so because of proximity to family/friends or are from SoCal.
I agree on that. I am pro-COMP because I live so close to it and it would be very convenient. To be honest, if COMP doesn't accept me I will not be a DO and instead will be an MD since I have been accepted to Temple already. Temple vs. TUCOM(where I was also accepted)...hahahaha definitely Temple without a second thought.

I'll find out in a week and if COMP rejects me or even waitlists me, I won't be so pro-COMP anymore.;)

True, COMP has its share of problems, and yes the main reason I chose the school is due to proximity. Nevertheless, can't pass on the fact that COMP students have matched into prestigious residencies around socal. School problems will always be there, but again, they are not the determining factors of what kind of physician you are going to be.

I cannot believe that NO current COMP students have come forward to defend their school and the program in light of all this COMP-negativity.

Where are you guys???? :confused:

Originally posted by Luwi25
I cannot believe that NO current COMP students have come forward to defend their school and the program in light of all this COMP-negativity.

Where are you guys???? :confused:
Actually, kpax is a COMP student. Hey kpax, what do you make about what xxy said about the clinical years?

Originally posted by Slickness
Actually, kpax is a COMP student. Hey kpax, what do you make about what xxy said about the clinical years?

what he said about the 3rd yr rotation may be true, again, i dont know the details because i just started. but I have heard different things about it both good and bad. I encourage you to talk to more students and get their perspectives on it. SDN COMPsters seem to be leaning more toward the negative aspects of COMP, again, those are just a few opinions.
personally i liked my decision. location is great because I can still see the people I want to see and that made a lot of difference personally. so far I'm happy.

Hi Luwi25!

I am a first year student at COMP and felt obligated to post in response to your original question as well as to some of the comments made in this thread. Let me just begin by saying that we all just had a big anatomy exam yesterday (and the 2nd years had a cardio exam). Perhaps that is the reason why you have not seen many students posting.

Although I cannot comment much about rotations, I would like to say that my experience so far has been positive. I have met some wonderful students who will become awesome physicians. My belief is that any medical school can train students to become proficient and competent physicians. However, I believe it is one's effort, experiences, and attitude that shapes him/her into the physician we all hope to become. I know many people will disagree with my opinion and that's fine. But, I wonder how they will explain those who do not attend lecture?

That being said, I think it will be really important for you to do some soul searching and try to find out where you believe you will be most comfortable. As far as one person's comment about the safety of our school, please understand that it is possible to experience crime ANYWHERE. Remember that awful story about the murder of a D.O. student in PA? Also, while I was in undergrad (not in California), my ten year old car was broken into three different times, once even in a very nice neighborhood!! Also, I grew up in the Phoenix area and I know that not too far away from AZCOM's campus, there are some pretty bad neighborhoods. AZCOM's campus is beautiful though. You may like it better there.
Someone also commented on our professors and their "lack of English skills." So far, we have only had two professors who have thick accents, but I can still understand them. For one professor, it is more comical to listen to the way words are pronounced more than anything. If you think this is going to be a problem only at COMP, then you are mistaken. There are always going to be people around you whose first language was not English, but they may be the most intelligent people you know. I just don't think that should be a deciding factor is all.
Lastly, I wanted to comment on the situation with the past dean. I don't know much about what happened before I was here and do not want to talk about what I have "heard." What I do know is that I spoke with a faculty member on the subject and he said that our interim dean has made more positive changes in the short time that he has spent at COMP than any dean in all his years at the schoool. All I can say is that hopefully these positive changes will continue at a greater rate than the negative ones. I honestly believe that will come to be true.
I think it is wonderful for you to be asking questions instead of believing one person's side (like people do in politics). I have more to say, but I really need to go study for micro right now.

Have a nice day all...I hope school is going well.

Originally posted by tkim6599
Round ligament ... I think.

Yeah, well that was your body Tae!!! Darn why didn't you all cut that one out??? J/K I hope you got that one right. :D

Originally posted by m16surgeon
Originally posted by tkim6599
Round ligament ... I think.

Yeah, well that was your body Tae!!! Darn why didn't you all cut that one out??? J/K I hope you got that one right. :D

Nope.

I did get both the ansas though.

Focus.....Back to COMP please. Any one have any more thoughts? I hope that things are better at COMP now than in 2002. Upon doing a search I read some previous posts where "some" students were really disappointed with the program but some of the problems seem to have been resolved with the coming about of the new dean.

Anyway, have things changed for the better since about 2 years back?

Go to UHS and do the 4 year DO/MBA Dual Degree Program. You finish in 4 years. It is a great great program. I just can not emphasize how much I have loved it! You will be ready for anything the world throws at you when you graduate!

From Predator, Arnold S. says, "DO IT! GET TO THE CHOPPER MAC! DO IT NOW!"

Normalforce

Hi Luwi25,
I'm currently a third year DO student at COMP and was not aware of this thread. I have a few comments on the thread so far after browsing:

- First and foremost, I think it is great that you are asking questions and trying to get the good as well as the bad. You should try to get as much information as possible, but remember that much of it may be subjective and not representative of the majority so some things need to be taken with a grain of salt. You will hopefully pick the school that is the best fit for you... it won't be the same school for everyone.

- The reason that quite a few of SDN COMP students seem negative could be due to the fact that many of the students who feel positively about the school or feel like they are on the path to becoming a good doctor are busy on rotations or not even on SDN browsing these Osteopathic forums in the first place. I am probably one of the few third year students who still posts on a semi-regular basis and I had no idea this thread was around until someone brought it to my attention.

- I agree with m16surgeon's comments regarding neighborhoods and the English-speaking skills. The Pomona neighborhood isn't all that bad when you think in relative terms. Medical schools like JHU, UPenn, and Columbia are in much much worse areas of town. I don't know anyone who doesn't feel safe walking around Pomona to local eateries during the daytime. During the nighttime, security does try to provide escorts, but if they aren't on the ball, there are usually fellow students around to walk each other to the parking lots which neighbor the school. Common sense goes a long way here and I can't remember the last time I've heard of any incidents to students. As far as speaking skills go, I am sure that many other medical schools have professors with various accents that may be less understandable than others. I know of one professor that I have slight trouble understanding, but others don't have any problems and his notes are relatively clear.

- Regarding the current interim dean and the past dean, I have heard that the interim dean has made positive impressions in terms of wanting to get things done for the school... definitely a good sign. This is not to say that the previous dean was not effective in the past, but it may have been due more to politics with administration than anything else. I can truthfully say that the previous dean and the current COMP administration has a strong desire to improve the school. Whether or not these interests may conflict at some point with those of other administration is a different story. You can certainly understand that as Western U. has multiple disciplines/colleges under its "roof", there are always going to be conflicts of interests (esp. financially) between the respective colleges and adminstration.

- Regarding financial matters and where tuition money is going, that is partially what some of the current allegations and investigations are dealing with. One of the main reasons why these matters were brought up and jobs were put on the line was because people felt so strongly about COMP and its students.

- I would also like to know whether students of other medical schools pay for application fees for certain rotations. Affiliations could probably make a difference although I am certain that a number of rotations that require applications usually require an application fee. (After talking to one fourth year student at our school, he informed me that students of other schools have to pay these application fees as well and students do not get "reimbursed" for them by their schools.)

- The rotations office has become slightly more organized in the past although I do feel that students who know what they are doing and do the legwork to set up their rotations seem to be happier. There has been some shifting around in the rotations office lately and I will have to check to see what the response has been so far. I don't know of any major decrease in rotation sites available in southern California for COMP students. Often times, certain hospitals drop students and rotations for their own reasons which vary quite a bit. I can say that there are still a wide variety of strong rotation sites for students to learn their 3rd year clinical skills at. During your fourth year, there are lots more opportunities to set up rotations out-of-state or at non-affiliated sites, but these require more work on the student's part. The rotations office won't do all your work for you and I would be naive to think they would. Just like the med school application process, I would try to do things ahead of time and constantly check to make sure things are in order. I will be honest and say that I have currently only had two rotations but I have had positive experiences with both and talking to other third year classmates, most seem to have positive experiences as well with a few negatives mixed in.

- I think one of the biggest things to consider is location and wanting to stay in southern California. COMP students do seem to make better connections and stay in the area more often although a number end up moving somewhere else for various reasons. COMP students have matched with pretty competitive residencies in the past as well. As I've said before, medical school is what you make of it. I would be lying to say that COMP doesn't have problems, but to say that other schools don't have as serious problems would be very misleading. It is just a matter of who speaks up on SDN. Also, consider that COMP has a somewhat bigger class compared to other schools so I would normally expect the number of students with unhappy experiences to be increased proportionally. I could ask a ton of students with positive experiences to all write their feelings on SDN, but wouldn't that be artificially stacking the positive aspects of the school? I prefer more viewpoints to help someone make a well-educated decision on what school to attend.

- As stated in a previous message thread, the 2005 class' COMLEX pass rate for June was 92%, about the same as the national average. The 2004 class had a lower pass rate. I think it varies from class to class, but there have been changes in curriculum occuring, some more noticable than others, but they include such things as reducing classroom hours as well as introducing more useful clinical information rather than some repetitive lecturing.

- As far as speaking to unhappy students who say to stay away from COMP, I do recall a few incidences where by chance, interviewees would always end up sitting down in a classroom in an area that happened to have more of the unhappy students sitting around. All I can say is that during interviews, it is important to get as many viewpoints as possible.

- I don't mean to make this a negative comment towards TUCOM, but I have noticed here and there that some TUCOM students on rotations end up coming down to socal for rotations for various reasons. Last year as second years, the 2005 class tried to set up some block rotations in the bay area, but we weren't successful due to the saturation of medical students in the area from the number of schools up there already. Hopefully the situation is improving.

- Lastly, take this with a grain of salt, but I believe the school hasn't affected me negatively in terms of my medical education and residency options in the future. Of course, if I had put more time into studying I'm sure I would be a much better student, but I take responsibility for any of my own shortcomings.

Good luck in your decision!

Melancholy,
Thanks for all the information about COMP that you had in your post. I'm glad that not everyone thinks the same way as xxy. Certainly, I got the impression from my interview day that COMP was a good school.

Remember, there are people that will win a $100 million lottery and complain that Uncle Sam is taking 1/3.

Medical School is a really expensive reading list - You are essentially paying for the market price of the degree, NOT the expense of your education. Private schools know what medical students are willing to pay for the degree and that sets the rate.

Complaints emerge because some people choose to make school their entire life - while it may be a huge part, when it becomes the "whole" you begin to define yourself as a student and nothing more. Your whole world evolves around you! Everything outside of your control aggravates you because of the stress. You stop taking criticism well. Everything is threatening to your self esteem. It's called stress and you have plenty of it. Hence, people are negative because they are unsatisfied with themselves - it's in every medical school in the country - focus on yourself for 4 years and then become an altruistic, compassionate doctor!!! The whole process is flawed - but perhaps necessary.

COMP is fine. Surround yourself by positive people with a balance to their lives and you will be happy. Maintain a life outside of school so when you graduate you are a person helping others, not a medical degree that lost all sense of how to relate to people and recognize a world outside of themself.

There are many, many more happy people here - than a vocal, self-focused minority wanting an administration that will make all their problems go away.

One point of advice - if you find yourself waivering on where you want to go and need to make a deposit and do not have the money, call the admin office and ask to create a payment schedule.

Good Luck - Wherever you go - work to make things better, encourage people, and only complain after you stop to consider whether you are the cause of the problem.

MS-I
COMP

I'm a second year at WUHS-COMP and I've had such a great experience. Yes there are problems, but there are problems at every school. Some are more apparent than others and some aren't. Honestly I came from a large public university and I was used to not having administrators care or take into consideration student concerns. But at WUHS I've learned that there are people who care and people who lobby the students' perspectives. There are faculty that don't care but then there are a lot of other faculty that do care and make it point to help students. There are some administrators whose purpose are a little shady but then there are some who fight and protect the students' rights. I think at any institute you attend it's like that. What is ultimately the most important thing is if the school fits you. Whether you can see yourself being comfortable in that institute. I know it's hard to think of that when your interviewing b/c you want everything to be the best and everything to be perfect but there isn't any institute that is like that. There is only an institute that best fits you. I had my doubts coming into WUHS, I had some negative perceptions but I came and what really made the experience for me were my classmates. Wherever you end up it is the people that make the difference.

To address some of the issues:

1. Safety: most people don't live in Pomona, they live in the nicer communities around Pomona (ie Claremont, Diamond Bar, Chino HillS), but you can study late on campus, I've studied until 1 am on campus and I haven't had any problems.

2. New dean: Very nice man, cares about the students, listens to student concerns. He's reorganized a lot of the admin and has made it a little more student friendly and easier for us to get our voices heard.

3. Rotations: I don't know much all I know is that most of the third years are having fun and they LOVE it. Some complain about the rotations office but most are just like we deal, doesn't matter they are just happy to out of the classroom. I don't know how it'll change but they did get a new dean of clinical rotations and had some moving around of duties in the office.

4. Professors' accents: I haven't really had a problem with it. And you know what when you are in the real world you'll meet different people with difference accents learn to deal with it. The material is what is important, as long as you can get it then whatevers.

5. People in the last couple of years have dealt with different personal issues that aren't typical of most classes. Like 2 years ago I know one of the problems they had to deal with was the death of two students. So their perceptions are a little colored and are different from what you may experience. Remember each year each class is different, you never have the same personality between classes. Choose a school based on how comfortable you feel during your interview or when you come and visit don't base it on other people's perceptions b/c that is situation dependent.

In the end it doesn't matter whether you had a miserable time or a great time you'll be doing what you want to do... and that's being a doctor.

I'm a first year at COMP and have a couple of things to say.

First, most of what was written is based on hearsay or rumor. Some of it was outright false. I'll tell you what I know.

Medical school is what you make of it. That's the big secret. I'm a podiatrist and went through 4 years of podiatry school plus a one year residency at L.A. County/USC Medical Center. There was good and bad thoughout. The main thing I learned was that your education is not necessarily going to be served up to you on a silver tray. Lot's of times your going to have to show some initiative.

There will always be varying levels of crime in the neighborhood, variable board pass rates, etc., etc.

EVERY medical school is going to have professors who don't speak clear English. So far, we have one professor who speaks into a voicebox/microphone because he lost the function of his voice. He is hard to understand, but he makes up for it with his personality and intelligence. We have another with a fairly thick accent, but he's still understandable.

Anatomy is taught by (I think) 6 different professors. Biochem by two. The school is stocked with highly competent professors who ALL want to teach you what they know. The board pass rates for COMP are just fine. The residency matches are excellent. The student body is very active and their are a million things to do extra-curricularly. There are literally dozens and dozens of neighborhoods to live in near school. I live in the Hollywood area (which is far), but it still only takes me 35 minutes to get to school. There are PLENTY of living situations that are safe and comfortable (I grew up on the beach in the L.A. area).

Don't worry about rumors. In my opinion, I would go to the school that is in the State that you want to live and practice in. They're ALL GOOD!

Good luck

Don't forget about Robbies :D

Melancholy,

Until you have more clinical rotations under your belt, you won't truly understand. I was pro-COMP before I started med school, and was always looking at the positive things COMP had to offer. But, this was how I felt in those first 2 years. But, after the excitement of 3rd year has worn off, you start to become really frustrated about how rotations are handled.

Originally, someone asked for some input, and everyone has heard about the good things about COMP. But I myself have never read on these message boards about the clinical years. I'm about to graduate, and I find myself not interested in joining the alumni or giving back any money to the school. I wish I didn't feel that way.

One poster suggested investigating if other schools run their rotations the way COMP does. I wholeheartedly agree. And it truly is up to the current 1st and 2nd years to pose these questions to the administration because when you are 3rd and 4th years, you will be busy on rotations (as melancholy pointed out) and you will have no unity to voice your opinion.

COMP is not perfect. But you should know both the good and the bad and make an informed decision. Should you decide to come to COMP knowing both, you can at least say to yourself "I expected that, and I'm cool with it."

Since I've mentioned what I thought COMP lacked, I should add what I thought was good:

-overall professors do a good job of teaching (I agree with that B.S. statement about professors with thick accents. sheesh, the things people come up with!)
-you really can make changes through the use of class officers
-lots of fun skits between 1st and 2nd years
-an uncanny sense of camaraderie between classmates
-a strong OMM department
-handouts given out, thereby reducing the # of books you have to buy

I am neither encouraging or discouraging students to come to COMP. Keep your minds open, make your pros and cons list, and decide.

Best regards,

xxyyzz

Xxyyzz,
I agree that as my third year class only has limited experience with rotations, most of us have not had to deal with a lot of running around trying to set up our own rotations as in the fourth year. Some students have had their own individual experiences with scrambling for a rotation here and there. It does seem like most of the block rotations that were set up for our third year class are decent enough that most students are getting what they expected. I am definitely sure that I will run into problems here and there while off-campus trying to arrange rotations here and there, but I really don't know how much different these problems are from other medical schools, particularly osteopathic ones.

It is sad how you feel towards the school in terms of wanting to give back in the future, but I understand what your class and some of your classmates have gone through. I think the school has improved year by year though, but there are always things that can be done to be improved. As far as alumni satisfaction has gone, I think WUHS has made moves in the past that have rubbed some COMP alumni the wrong way, but there are still a number of COMP alumni that end up helping students and/or our medical school one way or another whether it is by coming back to help teach, monetary donations, offering to precept students, etc. Hopefully, you will get to wherever you want to go in the future. I can definitely get a sense of how the fourth years feel through some of the interesting e-mails from your classmates.

At any rate, your statement that someone accepting COMP's invitation should be able to say "I expected that, and I'm cool with that," is good advice to follow... that goes for any school an applicant ends up deciding upon. The decision to attend a specific med school should definitely be with heartfelt commitment.

Melancholy,

If you've had only 2 rotations, then you must be one of the OMM fellows. If true, then your viewpoint may be biased because after all, the last 2 years are waived for you.

Remember, the rotations office isn't the only problem the school has. The accountability of education is done via the EFM project which for MANY of us is a waste of time. It's a joke among the students. And an easy way to not spend money!

I personally have always felt that it was always the students vs. the administration at COMP. It gets really old after 4 years. The positive thing about that outcome was it formed a strong camaraderie in our class.

As I've done before, I'll give more positives about COMP (3 more for the 3 negatives I've mentioned):

-extremely strong Anatomy Program
-lots of support for the many clubs on campus
-many of our students match in California

xxyyzz

Xxyyzz,
You're right, I started the OMM fellowship this fall semester which is why I've had very limited rotations experience, but I keep up with a number of classmates. I'll be honest and state that I fully believe if I were not a fellow and I were rotating at this moment, I would feel the same way about the school and office. If finances are going to be brought up, I will state that I chose to go to a private medical school and I knew it would be expensive... I am going to pay my share just like everyone else. I realistically expect medical school tuitions to rise to some degree from year to year... that's just how I see things. The waived tuition of the fellowship is a lifesaver, but in the long run, financially it would've been a better choice to not do the fellowship and I had many other reasons why I chose to do it.

Of course, that doesn't take into the fact that you've experienced a slightly different set of years at school than what we have been through and are going through. As far as EFM goes, we'll deal with it when it comes around... I can only be realistic in what to expect and try to at least go into it looking at it in some sort of positive light. Try to make the best use of the situation, right?

Based on how things have been going the last year or so, I don't see that "students vs. COMP" sort of attitude much anymore... I believe there is progression away from that as things have changed around here, mostly in a positive fashion.

I appreciate your continued feedback and input on this thread, but I realize that we are only two viewpoints here and that there are plenty more out there that I wish could be heard for everyone's benefit.

Haven't posted in a while, but since I've got the time I'll share a few viewpoints of mine about COMP. I'm a current third year student at COMP on rotations and enjoying every minute of it. As far as what xxyyzz and Melancholy have mentioned, there's truth to what they're saying...I'll vouch for the both of them. So to answer your questions, YES COMP does have problems. And yes, what many are saying have truth to it, some exaggerated some not. Regardless of the issues at COMP, I'm satisfied with my decision at attending COMP. Would I do it again if I could go back in time? Absolutely. Was it a tough 2 years? Definitely more than I thought I could handle. But was it worth it? So far rotations are treating me well, so yes, the 1st 2 brutal years at COMP are worth the clinical opportunities COMP has to offer. I can say more, but Melancholy and xxyyzz has already shared the same opinions I have about COMP. My advice: weigh the "risk to benefit ratio" and then make your decision. Many students love COMP and unfortunately many do not also. Every class experience is different. Our class experienced difficult times, but as a person who sees the glass as half full, I believe those experiences just made us a stronger class. Good luck with your decision.

-Robert Castro
OMS-III, COMP DO Class of 2005

Thanks all COMP students for the valuable insights. I have been accepted to COMP and am leaning toward going there. I know this may sound far fetched but do you think that all the lawsuits against the school and the corruption could eventually cause the DO school to shut down? I just wouldn't want to make a mistake by going to COMP.

Congrats Slickness!! :clap:

I knew that you would get in...no sweat!! I'm so happy for you because I know that we are both in the same boat and would love to stay in Cali. That's great! You know, despite all I've heard about COMP, most of the students there have many good thins to say about the school. Personally, I want to stay in Cali and do my rotations, residency here as well. Plus, it is so important that I stay close to my family and I think I'll be the happiest out here so I too am leaning towards COMP at the moment. We're gonna be doctors no matter which way you cut it so why not go somewhere that will keep you happy and give you the maximum social support so that you can excel in med school and do really well on the boards! The knowledge you gain in med school and those board scores are what really counts so I think COMP is lookin' real good right now.

I'm just a potential COMP student right now but I believe that COMP is the heart of Western U and after all of these years of establishing the school, I highly DOUBT that they will ever shut down! I'm sure many can back me up here.

Anyway Mark, congrats on your admission to COMP once again and we just might be classmates very soon!!! :D

Originally posted by Luwi25
Congrats Slickness!! :clap:

I knew that you would get in...no sweat!! I'm so happy for you because I know that we are both in the same boat and would love to stay in Cali. That's great! You know, despite all I've heard about COMP, most of the students there have many good thins to say about the school. Personally, I want to stay in Cali and do my rotations, residency here as well. Plus, it is so important that I stay close to my family and I think I'll be the happiest out here so I too am leaning towards COMP at the moment. We're gonna be doctors no matter which way you cut it so why not go somewhere that will keep you happy and give you the maximum social support so that you can excel in med school and do really well on the boards! The knowledge you gain in med school and those board scores are what really counts so I think COMP is lookin' real good right now.

I'm just a potential COMP student right now but I believe that COMP is the heart of Western U and after all of these years of establishing the school, I highly DOUBT that they will ever shut down! I'm sure many can back me up here.

Anyway Mark, congrats on your admission to COMP once again and we just might be classmates very soon!!! :D
Hey Krishni,
Thanks. I also believe it is important to have your family close by for that social support and so forth. The way I see it, as long as I work hard and do well on the boards, then I will get a good residency and become the best doctor I can be, whether it be at COMP or any MD school.

I guess you're right that COMP is pretty much the main school at Western so it shouldn't close down. It's just the worry of choosing a school then having it get closed down on me. I'm being paranoid.:laugh:

As for me, pretty much I will probably go to COMP unless UCI, UCLA, Loma Linda, or USC give me any love. However, I believe I would be happy at COMP if it is the school I end up going to. As you said, it would be nice if we do end up being classmates.:)

You're right in saying that COMP is truly the heart of WUHS although it may appear that some administration at Western don't seem to always feel that way. Regardless, I have no reason to believe they'd think about shutting down the school. As far as the question of these legal matters affecting student education... I doubt there has been any noticable negative effects. Life goes on as usual for the busy students on campus and those out on rotations...

Lanny,

Congrats for being one of the OMM fellows. It's really a high honor. Each year, there are many students apply for the OMM fellowship, and there are only two slots for it. Also, as I remember, COMP used to waive the fourth year tuition as a scholarship to the OMM fellows, does COMP still do that.

Again, congrats. I hope you'll be as good and successful as Dr. Ethan Allen. He is dynamite.

Hi GoForIt,
Thank you for your praise. I think over the years, do to circumstances such as the increasing class size they have increased the number of OMM fellows picked to six per year. They waive the last two years of our tuition as well as providing an educational stipend the last year. I definitely feel blessed to be chosen because there are quite a few classmates who had much more skill and knowledge in osteopathy that either weren't picked or did not apply for various reasons. I just hope to use this position to help myself become a better future osteopathic physician and teacher while helping to teach other students as well.

Dr. Allen is an amazing individual at his age to still treat patients while volunteering his time to do workshops for COMP students. I certainly hope to come near the amount of experience and treatment skills he has acquired over his many many years of practice.

I doubt the school will close down but the law suits may result in substantial attorney fees/financial settlements/fines being paid out by the school. This could result in significant increases in your tuition and/or less availability of funds for scholarships, facility improvements, etc.

So...what exactly are these law suits that western is involved in. I apologize for not being more informed but why is Western in legal trouble?