Compare 2 jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gastorch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little help would be appreciated comparing 2 jobs

Job 1 Stable academic 350K
1 week ICU, 2.5 Weeks OR per month
8 weeks vaca
Retirement 403 with 4% match

Job 2 Group just got 3 year renewal for contract PP 375K salary
1 week ICU 3 weeks OR
8 weeks vaca
50K additional in profit sharing and company 401 contribution.

Really torn between stability of number 1 and finances of 2.

Members don't see this ad.

Job 3:

Outpatient center, 7:30 to 3pm, no call no weekends, 10 weeks off. $450k.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since 1 week of ICU = 2 weeks in the OR, the second job means you will be working the equivalent of 4.5 vs 5 weeks x 11, and make an extra 25K+50K-14K = 61 K (61/350 = 17% pay increase for 11% extra work, not earth-shaking). The second job will be VERY tiring, because you won't have any breaks between ICU and OR. Also, in academia, you might have trainees to do a big part of your job in the ICU, and nobody will bother you directly during the night (they will probably have a trauma surgeon in-house). There might be other benefits to the academic job that you are missing.

IMO, the second job will squeeze you like a lemon, and the pay difference is not worth the increase in workload. I would take the first.

Reactions: 1 users
Job #1 sounds like the better deal, with close numbers, retirement matching, and probably less hours with more teaching. Any other academic benefits? Like tuition waiver for dependent children would seal the deal.

8 weeks vaca

1 week ICU 3 weeks OR
8 weeks vaca

Location? Urban, suburban, BFE?

Theres not enough info in the op to give good advice but if all things were equal I'd pick the 2nd job if there if it is a partnership track with equal ownership of the group. If you're just an employee of the group I'd pick the first job.

Reactions: 1 user

8 weeks vaca

1 week ICU 3 weeks OR
8 weeks vaca

Job 1 hands down.

How did you arrive to that conversion?
An ICU week is typically 7 shifts of 12 hours. FT intensivists tend to work 7 days on/7 days off/7 nights on/7 days off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

An ICU week is typically 7 shifts of 12 hours. FT intensivists tend to work 7 days on/7 days off/7 nights on/7 days off. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The intensivists I have worked with don't work more hours than the OR anesthesiologists. Most of them are 8-5 Monday to Friday.