Comparing MSW Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpvoxman13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently applied to 9 MSW programs around the United States. So far I have only heard back from two of the programs but they happen to be my top two choices so I think I should start comparing them and figure out which of these two I will choose unless I get an amazing deal from another program along the way. What are everyone's thoughts on University of Denver vs University of Texas at Austin? I know that UD is much more expensive but I received a decent scholarship making the price more manageable. Denver's program will still cost more but I really like Denver so I am still sort of pulling for it. I have never been to Austin. Anyway, any advice, tips, or just some insights would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends what you want to do with the MSW. Do you want to apply for a miltary scholarship? Are you eventually looking to do research and get a PhD? If those matter, the quality of the practicums and contacts from the said schools will have the greatest effect on your experience and future. I would talk to both faculty and students to inquire about the curriculum. If you want clinical, you want classes on DSM IV/V etc... If you are looking to just be "program oriented," then any MSW program will do, as long as they have a decent network in the surrounding area. Remember, the MSW can be utilized in many different ways. I have seen individuals get into business management with just that degree. I have seen others get into education and get a Ed.D, some go straight into management/policy, and I am even starting to see LCSWs in private corporations helping with the "well-being" of employees.

Hello all,
I recently applied to 9 MSW programs around the United States. So far I have only heard back from two of the programs but they happen to be my top two choices so I think I should start comparing them and figure out which of these two I will choose unless I get an amazing deal from another program along the way. What are everyone's thoughts on University of Denver vs University of Texas at Austin? I know that UD is much more expensive but I received a decent scholarship making the price more manageable. Denver's program will still cost more but I really like Denver so I am still sort of pulling for it. I have never been to Austin. Anyway, any advice, tips, or just some insights would be greatly appreciated.

I'm just curious - I do not mean to hijack your thread or anything, but how did you get a scholarship toward an MSW? I have heard that these are difficult to come by... did you obtain it from an outside source or were you allowed to apply through the university prior to official acceptance... or better yet, did they offer it along with their acceptance letters?

Also, are you planning to move to attend one of these programs or are they online? I ask because I am beginning to consider an MSW myself.

Good luck to you... again, I hope I did not hijack your thread. That was not my intention!

Members don't see this ad :)
SallyStudent,
The programs that I applied to have need based and merit based scholarships. They asked me to fill out the FASFA for need based scholarships and they considered my undergrad GPA for merit based. There are outside resources that you can look for scholarships, NASW, CSWE, NABSW ( for clinicians of color) etc. They involve some work on your part and personal statements.
There are also work study, fellowships, and the like. The military covered the cost of my education so I am tremendously fortunate.
I am not sure if you can apply for some scholarships before you are accepted. All of the criteria I looked at required you to be accepted or even one or two semesters in.
Lastly, there are very few field placements that offer a stipend that can be used however you'd like. Hope this was helpful.

SallyStudent,
The programs that I applied to have need based and merit based scholarships. They asked me to fill out the FASFA for need based scholarships and they considered my undergrad GPA for merit based. There are outside resources that you can look for scholarships, NASW, CSWE, NABSW ( for clinicians of color) etc. They involve some work on your part and personal statements.
There are also work study, fellowships, and the like. The military covered the cost of my education so I am tremendously fortunate.
I am not sure if you can apply for some scholarships before you are accepted. All of the criteria I looked at required you to be accepted or even one or two semesters in.
Lastly, there are very few field placements that offer a stipend that can be used however you'd like. Hope this was helpful.

That was incredibly helpful, thank you. I had a 3.85 undergraduate GPA and a 4.0 in my master's program. I am hoping my grades will help me as I assume merit will be the only item on your list for which I will qualify. I'm definitely needs based, but I've found that geographic cost of living, amount of current student loan payments, etc are not taken into consideration when "need" is assessed. Did you have any luck deciding on a program? I wish I knew more to help you. :-(

Thank you for serving our country!

I am in the second semester of my first year.
I am by far an expert on financial aid and from what I garner, financial aid looks at your FASFA to determine how much loans you qualify for.

When I received my acceptance letter University of Denver just informed me that I had been given a scholarship based on my previous experiences and test scores. I hadn't filled out the FAFSA or anything at that point. The school is much more expensive normally so I am not sure if they usually give out more scholarships but I just received an acceptance letter from New York University with a scholarship based on my application as well. I was surprised because I didn't have very impressive grades but I have been working my tail off volunteering and beefing up my resume so that could have something to do with it.

I am in the second semester of my first year.
I am by far an expert on financial aid and from what I garner, financial aid looks at your FASFA to determine how much loans you qualify for.

Sorry, Submarine! For some reason, I was confusing you with the original poster! :-\

Well, I guess I'll fill out my FAFSA and see how much more damage I can do. I hope you're enjoying your program!

When I received my acceptance letter University of Denver just informed me that I had been given a scholarship based on my previous experiences and test scores. I hadn't filled out the FAFSA or anything at that point. The school is much more expensive normally so I am not sure if they usually give out more scholarships but I just received an acceptance letter from New York University with a scholarship based on my application as well. I was surprised because I didn't have very impressive grades but I have been working my tail off volunteering and beefing up my resume so that could have something to do with it.

Mpvoxman,

This is interesting to hear! Are you planning to relocate for your MSW, or are these programs online (I'm not trying to be nosy, I'm asking because I'm looking for a program myself)? Congrats on the scholarship - goodness, that would be nice since tuition is so insane these days.

Any decisions yet?