Comparing SMPs - any help appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amukh

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm trying to choose between a couple SMPs/master's programs and was looking to see if any current students (or anyone who has knowledge of these programs) had anything to share about what the programs are like and any general thoughts. As of now, I'm choosing between the UNT MS in Medical Sciences and the Tulane MS in Physiology.

I'm aware both will be quite time consuming in their work, but some more details on the curriculum, faculty and program support/infrastructure, and other things that round the programs out (e.g. research or extra opportunities) would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a specific thread about UNTHSC UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

I know they prepare students very well, they encourage you to wait and apply to med schools AFTER you complete the SMP instead of during your year there, and that there is not a direct linkage to admission.
Current students will be able to answer your questions about performance needed to get interviewed at TCOM, etc.

Here's a specific thread about UNTHSC UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2020-2021

I know they prepare students very well, they encourage you to wait and apply to med schools AFTER you complete the SMP instead of during your year there, and that there is not a direct linkage to admission.
Current students will be able to answer your questions about performance needed to get interviewed at TCOM, etc.
Thanks! I don't know if you'd know, but do you know how much it matters to state medical schools where I do the program? I'm a Texas resident, but both college and my current job have been out-of-state. Rumors have indicated for a long time that Texas med schools dislike that, and I'm wondering if just the fact that UNT is in Dallas is a big enough plus.

Thanks! I don't know if you'd know, but do you know how much it matters to state medical schools where I do the program? I'm a Texas resident, but both college and my current job have been out-of-state. Rumors have indicated for a long time that Texas med schools dislike that, and I'm wondering if just the fact that UNT is in Dallas is a big enough plus.
I think it matters most that you perform well in your SMP and try to keep adding clinical hours to your resume.