Comparison of 8wk Classes: MBSR vs CBT for catastrophizing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In which case, it supports use of group therapy (cheaper) for large health systems.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In which case, it supports use of group therapy (cheaper) for large health systems.

The both used groups. What's the cost difference between a MBSR trainer & a pain
Psychologist?

drusso, what does a full time pain psychologist cost these days?

In going through the article, the MBSR treatment sounds a lot like what we do in counseling patients in the office. Is a qualified MBSR trainer absolutely necessary?

drusso, what does a full time pain psychologist cost these days?

In going through the article, the MBSR treatment sounds a lot like what we do in counseling patients in the office. Is a qualified MBSR trainer absolutely necessary?

For a doctoral level PhD/PsyD with relevant training in pain and medical psychology you're looking at total cost to the organization of at least $120-150K on the cheap (salary, benefits, employer taxes, CME, vacation, sick leave, retirement). Master's/LCSW about half. You can try to scale with psych RN or other para-professionals, but they can't bill independently so it reduces MD productivity. In my state, Medicaid won't pay for addiction counseling services in a medical office setting unless specifically designated by the state to be an addiction services provider (costly, regulatory redundant, and a waste of staff resources).

Behavioral health service does not generate revenue to cover its expenses under the current payment models. You have to directly subsidize the program costs from other service lines. Participation in groups is abysmal; patients prefer the one-on-one confidentiality. Disingenuous to promote these programs as viable opportunities when basic economics does not pencil out.

A few of the urban community health centers in my area have this type of program, complete with addiction Psychiatry. Then again, even though these are not hospital/health system owned clinics, the physicians in these clinics are employed and I assume the clinics are subsidized locally.

I don't know that there's going to be a place/role for private practice doctors here.