Compartment syndrome release surgeries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how common are compartment syndrome surgeries in podiatry. and in general how common are soft tissue surgeries above the ankle. especially in states where the scope is pretty liberal where one can operate the muscles below the knee joint like minnesota, WI, etc . ( lets not even go to florida and new mexico the softtissue to hip joint issue again:) because thats for skin grafts)

Members don't see this ad.

Compartment syndrome surgeries are not THAT common, but are getting a little more common now that more DPM's are obtaining ER privileges and ER on call schedules.

Compartment syndrome cases often are diagnosed after/during trauma and are therefore diagnosed in the ER, and as a result were often referred to the orthopedic staff or trauma surgeons. That trend has started to have a very slight swing in some progressive hospitals, depending on podiatry's relationship in that hospital and their delineation of privileges.

In PA we can perform fasciotomies of the leg compartments. I have also found that in hospitals that have residency programs and podiatric residents that rotate through the ER it's much more likely that DPM's will be involved.

There are also cases of exercise induced compartment syndrome that are more chronic than acute that can be treated and actually scheduled as a non emergent surgery.

I believe that as a general rule, surgery for compartment syndrome is not that common, nor is surgery for soft tissue procedures of the leg. Yes, there are the occasional lumps and bumps and Achilles work, but the vast majority of your cases will be the foot, followed by the ankle.

Don't worry, there's plenty of work.

Compartment syndrome surgeries are not THAT common, but are getting a little more common now that more DPM's are obtaining ER privileges and ER on call schedules.

Compartment syndrome cases often are diagnosed after/during trauma and are therefore diagnosed in the ER, and as a result were often referred to the orthopedic staff or trauma surgeons. That trend has started to have a very slight swing in some progressive hospitals, depending on podiatry's relationship in that hospital and their delineation of privileges.

In PA we can perform fasciotomies of the leg compartments. I have also found that in hospitals that have residency programs and podiatric residents that rotate through the ER it's much more likely that DPM's will be involved.

There are also cases of exercise induced compartment syndrome that are more chronic than acute that can be treated and actually scheduled as a non emergent surgery.

I believe that as a general rule, surgery for compartment syndrome is not that common, nor is surgery for soft tissue procedures of the leg. Yes, there are the occasional lumps and bumps and Achilles work, but the vast majority of your cases will be the foot, followed by the ankle.

Don't worry, there's plenty of work.

Oh no i was just wondering about the prevelance. we are doing sports med now and the case histories are awesome thats why i was curious.

Iam very happy in feet as long as i get a decent number of Nail avulsion procedures and few orthotics prescriptions daily (ofcourse they should have good insurance also). i will be a very happy man:D doing that every day.

Just wondering how common are compartment syndrome surgeries in podiatry. and in general how common are soft tissue surgeries above the ankle. especially in states where the scope is pretty liberal where one can operate the muscles below the knee joint like minnesota, WI, etc . ( lets not even go to florida and new mexico the softtissue to hip joint issue again:) because thats for skin grafts)

Compartment syndrome is something that should be on the back of your mind with any high-energy trauma of the foot and ankle. Any case of lisfranc's fractures for example, you will see significant edema and right off the bat, you have to rule in/out Compartment syndrome, provided that there is clinical evidence of course. Most of the literature will support releases medially, plantarly, and even dorsally in cases (wrt to foot trauma). There was a recent paper that also dicussed releasing the calcaneal compartment as well.