competition for cardiology..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gradient Echo

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody know any statistics on the competition for cardiology fellowships? Do you go thru the match process or what?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure where actual stats are posted. However, Cards is a match, but with a few caveats. One to keep in mind is something I learned from my friends who went thru the latest match. While interviewing, programs may advertise X number of positions available, but when it comes time for the match, they may only "post" or put into play only a certain number of those positions. So a program will tell a candidate to definitely rank them highly because the program plans to rank that candidate highly as well -- but when the program only posts half the number of spots they originally said they would, someone gets screwed. You need to play the game smart and right, and cover the spread.

Any thoughts on ranking these programs? Interested in advanced imaging/general cardiology
UC Riverside, CA
U of Arizona, Phoenix
U of Kentucky, lexington
lehigh valley health, allentown, PA

Thanks in advance

Why did you reply to this thread

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about this. Someone from another thread posted the fellowship match rates from this past November:
GI 64.4%
Rheum 65.1%
Cards 71.9%
Heme/Onc 75.7%
Pulm/CC 72.3%

I'm wondering where exactly the source is for this. I'm interested in cards but not sure how fellowship directors will view my board scores. Step 1 is 240s and Step 2 CK is 220s (not sure what happened to the drop but I got 230s-240s on practice tests). Does doing well on Step 3 matter?

Also, I'm seriously thinking about ranking a community program #1 mostly because of location and I really liked the residents and attendings there (good vibe, teaching culture, did an away there) and it has in-house cards fellowship program. However, I do have an academic program on my list but I was not impressed with it on interview day (from talking to the residents and got a bad vibe too). The other programs are either university-affiliated or community programs, most of which I would be happier to be at than at the academic program I mentioned.

If obtaining a competitive fellowship (i.e. cards of GI) is your highest priority, go to the highest ranked most prestigious academic IM residency institution you can.

I'm curious about this. Someone from another thread posted the fellowship match rates from this past November:
GI 64.4%
Rheum 65.1%
Cards 71.9%
Heme/Onc 75.7%
Pulm/CC 72.3%

I'm wondering where exactly the source is for this. I'm interested in cards but not sure how fellowship directors will view my board scores. Step 1 is 240s and Step 2 CK is 220s (not sure what happened to the drop but I got 230s-240s on practice tests). Does doing well on Step 3 matter?

Also, I'm seriously thinking about ranking a community program #1 mostly because of location and I really liked the residents and attendings there (good vibe, teaching culture, did an away there) and it has in-house cards fellowship program. However, I do have an academic program on my list but I was not impressed with it on interview day (from talking to the residents and got a bad vibe too). The other programs are either university-affiliated or community programs, most of which I would be happier to be at than at the academic program I mentioned.
source is NRMP fellowship match stats. note that the match rates are different for AMGs and IMGs.

GI 64.4%
Rheum 65.1%
Cards 71.9%
Heme/Onc 75.7%
Pulm/CC 72.3%

Step scores are way down on the list of things important for fellowship.

Important factors
Where you did residency
How good of a resident you were
Letters of Rec
Research-including research quality, interest in continuing research
Your interview for the fellowship

Less important factors
Step 1 scores
Where you did med school .

Basically irrelevant factors
Step 2 or 3 scores (unless you failed or were near failing)
PRECLINICAL grades

Reactions: 1 user
In my program at least step 1 scores is absolutely a factor, not the most important, but all else being equal a 240 is going to be looked more favorably upon than a 220. IMO, 240+ is solid, but residency rep matters too. Step scores and a cutoff are often used for narrowing down apps too. If your ultimate goal is being near family and you're not gung-ho about cards or anything in particular, I'd consider looking at the job market for the area you want to live in. If it's saturated with cardiologists and they make as much as a hospitalist and you're ok being a hospitalist, then maybe cardiology fellowship isn't worth it. Personally, if I was hardcore cardiology or any subspecialty I'd strongly consider a less ideal program if they matched well and would put in me in the best position, if I were indifferent about subspecialty then I'd probably go with whatever program felt best and just live with whatever consequences of it, if any.

I did personally interview at some top tier programs where the step 1 cut off was either 235 or 240 and all applicants below that were automatically screened out. In the end it's an easy filter to cut down from 1000 apps to a lot less. No program director in his or her right mind would sit down and read 1000 apps so they need to come up with some quick ways of filtering people out.

Reactions: 1 users
I did personally interview at some top tier programs where the step 1 cut off was either 235 or 240 and all applicants below that were automatically screened out. In the end it's an easy filter to cut down from 1000 apps to a lot less. No program director in his or her right mind would sit down and read 1000 apps so they need to come up with some quick ways of filtering people out.

What about cut offs for Step 2 CK and/or Step 3?

What about cut offs for Step 2 CK and/or Step 3?

Based on what I remember they had step 1 and step 2 cutoffs but no one really cared about step 3. I'm assuming step 3 does not matter as long as you just pass.