Competition

Started by Spinola
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Spinola

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did my medical degree at the University of Oxford and am just completing my DPhil there (DPhil=Doctor of Philosophy); I was thinking of applying for ophthalmology residency in the US. Should I expect resistance from the "better" programs (e.g. MEEI etc.) despite the fact that I attended an internationally renowned university?
 
Originally posted by Spinola
I did my medical degree at the University of Oxford and am just completing my DPhil there (DPhil=Doctor of Philosophy); I was thinking of applying for ophthalmology residency in the US. Should I expect resistance from the "better" programs (e.g. MEEI etc.) despite the fact that I attended an internationally renowned university?

Your academic background is fine. The question is are you a US Citizen? If you are a US citizen who completed medical school in England, then you'll be fine. I'm not sure what all the hold ups are, but I think a lot has to do with VISA status.