Competitive after prelim yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trkd

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if one were to scramble into a prelim year, would you be more competitive with a year under your belt or same as the previous unmatched year?

Any thought?

Members don't see this ad.

trkd said:
Just wondering if one were to scramble into a prelim year, would you be more competitive with a year under your belt or same as the previous unmatched year?

Any thought?

You would be slightly less competitive after doing a prelim year. A transitional year would make you slightly more competitive as it won't hurt your Medicare funding, but TY spots are pretty competitive and hence hard to scramble into.

toxic-megacolon said:
You would be slightly less competitive after doing a prelim year. A transitional year would make you slightly more competitive as it won't hurt your Medicare funding, but TY spots are pretty competitive and hence hard to scramble into.

I didn't know that transitional year did not affect your funding. Interesting. It seems there is much that the young pad-won has to learn. :oops:

So when you say that transitional would make you slightly more competitive, would this be more competitive than a prelim year or than the previous unmatched year. I know it is a hard call to make.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
trkd said:
It seems there is much that the young pad-won has to learn.

Should this perhaps be "It seems there is much the young +pad+ - awon has to learn"

I've always heard having a year (or two) under your belt only makes you a stronger candidate. This may vary from program to program, because of the funding issue, which according to toxic may or may not even be a consideration. Cheap labor is still cheap labor, and with a year under your belt, you are extra cheap labor (pgy-2 labor for pgy-1 salary) that has a year's practice at "moving the meat," so to speak.

Of course, this is only what I heard from my neighbor's boyfriend's second college room-mate's sisters hamster, so YMMV.

That was a lot of babbling.. off to another thread.

Peace!

jd

I was told that both a TY or prelim would affect your funding if going into a 3 year program.

I had asked the question in regards to an AOA traditional internship, so maybe it is only true in that sense.