Competitive enough for MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Propylene

Class of 2017
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to apply to medical school in June and just recently have started thinking about applying to dual degree programs. My stats are 3.8 cGPA, 35S (12 P, 10V , 13B); I think my MCAT might a little low for these kinds of programs.

As far as research, I have: 1.5 years of experience in a neuroscience lab, but worked mainly as an underling there and did not get my own project to work on.

I moved to my current lab a year ago and love it; working here is what inspired me to pursue a PhD in addition to an MD. However, I haven't had my own project here either; since my time left in undergrad was limited I felt I would be more helpful assisting my sponsoring graduate student with her work. I'll be listed as a second author on the next paper she publishes, maybe in the next 3-4 months (but I plan on applying before then).

I feel like I have a strong understanding of how science and graduate school works, but I'm wondering if my lack of autonomy in my labs and lack of publications will hurt me in the application. One of my advisors said I could consider applying to MD only, then once in apply internally to the dual degree program; is this a good idea?

I'll get a strong letter from my current PI, and could maybe wrangle a decent one from my old lab as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read this over; I'm sure you guys get threads like this all the time!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, that was very helpful! I read it over and was still curious how necessary an autonomous project in a lab was so I made this thread. I completely understand if it seems redundant, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not required. Just make sure you understand the work you did and the project very well. Make sure when you interview that you can discuss it as if it's your project. Play up your important role on the project as much as possible in essays.

I see, thank you! I'll be sure to understand the project thoroughly and figure out how to explain my role well. Thanks for all the PMs as well; they were very helpful!