Competitive for Pediatrics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd like to know some info about what it take to be competitive for a pediatric residency. I researched previous threads but I'm not sure how relevant they are in light of part 1 boards going pass/fail.

My questions are what gpa is considered competitive? What class rank is considered competitive? What extracurriculars should be done (research, mission trips, leadership postions, externships)?

Also, do you guys recommend the Guide to Postdoctoral Programs (volume 2) or should I save my money?

The previous threads will explain that board scores weren't particularly relevant to begin with. If you show you're interested in the specialty via your activities and efforts, if you're roughly in the middle of your class, and you've applied to a large count of programs, you'll have a shot. Read the matching thread from the last few years to see what the SDNers who matched had going for them.

Also, do you guys recommend the Guide to Postdoctoral Programs (volume 2) or should I save my money?

I would save your money. It'll only give you averages at best and from personal experience I know people who have matched with stats way outside the standard dev. Check these threads, aapd.org and speak with the faculty at your school (they might have the inside "know" if a school won't even look at your application with anything less than a 3.99 GPA). You could always persuade your Academic Affairs office to buy the book for your class's use if you really want it. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The previous threads will explain that board scores weren't particularly relevant to begin with. If you show you're interested in the specialty via your activities and efforts, if you're roughly in the middle of your class, and you've applied to a large count of programs, you'll have a shot. Read the matching thread from the last few years to see what the SDNers who matched had going for them.

I really agree with this quote! Activities and efforts are weighted pretty heavily.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the feedback. Based on what you guys are saying here, it seems as if getting into pediatric dentistry isn't all about the numbers. If that's true, what makes this specialty so competitive? The sheer number of people applying?

$$$$$$$$$

:shrug: