Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Competitive gpa with OK MCAT score

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by JohnWill30, Aug 18, 2015.

1. JohnWill30

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Just wondering what my chances would look like with a 504 MCAT score 127/123/129/125
    I have a cGPA of 3.65
    100+ hours ER volunteering
    20 hours physician shadowing
    Very extensive volunteer experience with most of it coming in leadership positions involved with healthcare volunteering
    Won award for best student program for community service
    Worked in Dr. Office as receptionist for a few months
    Extensive non clinical volunteering as well
    No research experience

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks in advance!

2. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    A 504 is OK for DO schools, but NOT OK for MD.

Let's see your list.

3. JohnWill30

2+ Year Member

7 Illinois schools (resident) SIU, Loyola, Univ. of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Univ. of Illinois
    Colorado at Boulder, Saint Louis Univ., University of Kansas (went here undergrad), Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Cincinnati

I'm committed to this cycle and am going to give it my best shot. I would retake the MCAT if I absolutely needed to but I would like to avoid it if possible.

4. piii

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Rush and Rosa are the only ones you may have a shot at besides some of the state schools if you don't get screened for the low verbal

5. candbgirl

candbgirl Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Do you have the MSAR? You really need to get it and use it. Your GPA is average and your MCAT is well below average for MD schools. (Yours is somewhere around a 27-28 on the old scale).Are you applying DO? You really should. Where do you live in IL? SIU favors applicants that live south of I 80.

6. JohnWill30

2+ Year Member

I don't have the MSAR. I am not applying DO for this cycle. I am also north of I 80 and I have never heard that before. I know odds aren't great but I'm hoping I can make up for my low-ish score in other areas.

7. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hate to be overly harsh but if you are applying with a 3.65/27 without any DO's there is a very strong chance you aren't going to like how things shake for you this cycle. On top of the 27 the 33rd percentile verbal of 7 is going to cause even more problems.

You really do have to pick one of these options.

a) Go all in for MD wait a year and re-take the MCAT and shoot for 80th+ percentile.
    b) Commit to this cycle and apply to a number of DO schools. You'll be fine for a large number of DO's.

You really should invest in MSAR. IF you do you'll see why applying to Chicago, Northwestern and SIU is a complete waste of money.

8. JohnWill30

2+ Year Member

I'll invest in MSAR thank you. Would an 80th+ percentile be necessary to get in somewhere because of the mediocre score I received originally?

9. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    80th+ percentile is the median for MD matriculants. Given you already have one low score on your record that provides even more imperative for a strong showing the second go around. Ideally the higher you get on the re-take the better. 90th+ percentile would really help your cause although that's asking for a rather rare 6+ point improvement equivalent on the new test.

It's far too late in this cycle to re-take the MCAT and for it to serve any purpose. If you want to get in this cycle DO's have to be your focus and maybe your state school and a few lower tiers.

10. JohnWill30

2+ Year Member

11. 0dee

0dee SDN Gold Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just like everyone said, apply to DO schools as you're not that late in the cycle compared to MD cycle. With those stats you could get a number of IIs.