Competitive gpa with OK MCAT score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnWill30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering what my chances would look like with a 504 MCAT score 127/123/129/125
I have a cGPA of 3.65
100+ hours ER volunteering
20 hours physician shadowing
Very extensive volunteer experience with most of it coming in leadership positions involved with healthcare volunteering
Won award for best student program for community service
Worked in Dr. Office as receptionist for a few months
Extensive non clinical volunteering as well
No research experience

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

A 504 is OK for DO schools, but NOT OK for MD.

Let's see your list.

Just wondering what my chances would look like with a 504 MCAT score 127/123/129/125
I have a cGPA of 3.65
100+ hours ER volunteering
20 hours physician shadowing
Very extensive volunteer experience with most of it coming in leadership positions involved with healthcare volunteering
Won award for best student program for community service
Worked in Dr. Office as receptionist for a few months
Extensive non clinical volunteering as well
No research experience

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks in advance!

7 Illinois schools (resident) SIU, Loyola, Univ. of Chicago, Northwestern, Rush, Rosalind Franklin, Univ. of Illinois
Colorado at Boulder, Saint Louis Univ., University of Kansas (went here undergrad), Medical College of Wisconsin, University of Cincinnati

I'm committed to this cycle and am going to give it my best shot. I would retake the MCAT if I absolutely needed to but I would like to avoid it if possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rush and Rosa are the only ones you may have a shot at besides some of the state schools if you don't get screened for the low verbal

Do you have the MSAR? You really need to get it and use it. Your GPA is average and your MCAT is well below average for MD schools. (Yours is somewhere around a 27-28 on the old scale).Are you applying DO? You really should. Where do you live in IL? SIU favors applicants that live south of I 80.

I don't have the MSAR. I am not applying DO for this cycle. I am also north of I 80 and I have never heard that before. I know odds aren't great but I'm hoping I can make up for my low-ish score in other areas.

I don't have the MSAR. I am not applying DO for this cycle. I am also north of I 80 and I have never heard that before. I know odds aren't great but I'm hoping I can make up for my low-ish score in other areas.

Hate to be overly harsh but if you are applying with a 3.65/27 without any DO's there is a very strong chance you aren't going to like how things shake for you this cycle. On top of the 27 the 33rd percentile verbal of 7 is going to cause even more problems.

You really do have to pick one of these options.

a) Go all in for MD wait a year and re-take the MCAT and shoot for 80th+ percentile.
b) Commit to this cycle and apply to a number of DO schools. You'll be fine for a large number of DO's.

You really should invest in MSAR. IF you do you'll see why applying to Chicago, Northwestern and SIU is a complete waste of money.

I'll invest in MSAR thank you. Would an 80th+ percentile be necessary to get in somewhere because of the mediocre score I received originally?

I'll invest in MSAR thank you. Would an 80th+ percentile be necessary to get in somewhere because of the mediocre score I received originally?

80th+ percentile is the median for MD matriculants. Given you already have one low score on your record that provides even more imperative for a strong showing the second go around. Ideally the higher you get on the re-take the better. 90th+ percentile would really help your cause although that's asking for a rather rare 6+ point improvement equivalent on the new test.

It's far too late in this cycle to re-take the MCAT and for it to serve any purpose. If you want to get in this cycle DO's have to be your focus and maybe your state school and a few lower tiers.

Just like everyone said, apply to DO schools as you're not that late in the cycle compared to MD cycle. With those stats you could get a number of IIs.