Competitive MCAT Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

what is competitive mcat score for MD medical schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would gather >506 is probably better given everything else is in accord, but I'm still a newbie on that assumption. Correct me though if I am wrong tho cause that's just my inference.

No magic number is going to get you in, get the highest score possible. Ideally over a 510-512 is good for a MD school but again try and get the highest possible and don't set a 512 goal set the goal to be a 528 and go for it

Reactions: 1 users
No magic number is going to get you in, get the highest score possible. Ideally over a 510-512 is good for a MD school but again try and get the highest possible and don't set a 512 goal set the goal to be a 528 and go for it

Has it gotten more competitive? A few years ago a 30 was considered good, and that's a 508.

Yes it's gotten more competative. Depending on the state a 508 is solid but a 510 looks better in paper because of how weird humans are with rounder numbers. Ideally you want a 528 so shoot for that.

Reactions: 5 users
Has it gotten more competitive? A few years ago a 30 was considered good, and that's a 508.

It is competitive but not nearly as good as the 510 also theres a lot of factors such as URM, ORM, high gpa, etc

It depends on the school, but I agree with PossibleDOC?. Just shoot for the 528 and do the best you can. Don't aim for "just good," whether it's a 508 or a 510.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

@gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM

What's a competitive score for top schools for an applicant without special status/story? Would a 35 vs. 37 ever be a reason to pick one applicant over another?

I would get access to MSAR so you can look at all the percentile ranges for every school.

Reactions: 1 user
My own suggestions are to use 36 for the top of the top (Harvard, Stanford, WashU), and 35 for the near top (Keck, Duke, Pitt). My rule of thumb is that the higher up the pole you want to climb, the slipperier it gets, and the closer to a school's median stats you should be,

@gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM

What's a competitive score for top schools for an applicant without special status/story? Would a 35 vs. 37 ever be a reason to pick one applicant over another?

Reactions: 2 users
Isn't a 510 equal to a 32? I'm certain that 508 is the new 30
Was just about to say the same. It's from my understanding a 506 is approx a 29, so I don't see how a 510 is the new 30.

510+ is competitive for MD (all other things including GPA being acceptable). 515+ is "in range" for top schools and highly competitive for non-top schools. 518+ is competitive for top schools.

Again, this is assuming that GPA is on par or better. If you have a high GPA/low MCAT or low GPA/high MCAT, it gets more complicated.

Reactions: 1 user
510+ is competitive for MD (all other things including GPA being acceptable). 515+ is "in range" for top schools and highly competitive for non-top schools. 518+ is competitive for top schools.

Again, this is assuming that GPA is on par or better. If you have a high GPA/low MCAT or low GPA/high MCAT, it gets more complicated.

2 of my state schools have a 30 as being their median. So 508 is not necessarily bad i'm assuming? I know a few years ago it was considered what 32 is now.

2 of my state schools have a 30 as being their median. So 508 is not necessarily bad i'm assuming? I know a few years ago it was considered what 32 is now.

Depends on your GPA, your ECs, your state school's median GPA, and how favorable it is to in-state students.