competitive or average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockydoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing MDapps and it seems like a lot of premeds have rediculous ECs (which lasted for like 5 years). I was wondering what makes your ECs competitive.

here's my app.
Edit: I just put up an MDApps profile you can look at instead....please comment

MCAT 12V 9PS 11BS M
GPA 4.0
ECs:
Vol/Comm.: ER volunteer (summer), medical missions trip to Peru (over 2 very busy weeks), YMCAreads (semester),
Clinical exp: EMT, lots of shadowing, and you can count that Peru trip again, work in a radiology depart.
Honors: president's list, alpha chi honor society
Leadership/other: leadership team at my school called (S.L.A.M. "servants leaders and mentors) dorm leader in-charge of 3-4 rooms with freshman mentoring, sigma kappa delta, chemistry/physics lab assistant

Is this competitive or just average.....or worse?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you are competitive, albeit not for top notch research institutions with no experience in that area. Stick to a broad app of solid schools and you'll get in. Not sure where you live but seems like a solid state school application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am def. not applying to top research schools. My residence is in CO but I go to school in Florida ( a tiny private one). My school list is:

Albany
Boston U
Creighton
Drexel
GW
Georgetown
Loma Linda
Loyola
Med Sch Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
St. Louis U
U of Vermont
U of CO
U of South Florida (just b/c my school is freakin close to them and they may recognize it better)
Wake Forest

does this look like a good plan (with good chances)?

much appreciated feedback

Apply more broadly, a lot of those schools are the private schools that recieve 10k+ applications so it really the luck of the draw to gain an acceptance. You have a solid application, and while the average matriculant stats are similar to yours at those schools, the shear volume of applicants reduces your chances of gaining an acceptance.

I agree...but what other schools take matriculants with similar numbers, in addition to a significant amount of OOS applicants? OOS is the big problem with that one. I kinda feel that those are just about all of the schools that fit that criteria for me. Are there any others you were thinking about?

Definitely do New York Medical College

thanks for the info, I will add NY med...are you a student there?