SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

competitive or average?

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by rockydoc, Jun 6, 2008.

1. rockydoc

rockydoc 2+ Year Member

May 23, 2008
    I was browsing MDapps and it seems like a lot of premeds have rediculous ECs (which lasted for like 5 years). I was wondering what makes your ECs competitive.

here's my app.
    Edit: I just put up an MDApps profile you can look at instead....please comment

MCAT 12V 9PS 11BS M
    GPA 4.0
    Vol/Comm.: ER volunteer (summer), medical missions trip to Peru (over 2 very busy weeks), YMCAreads (semester),
    Clinical exp: EMT, lots of shadowing, and you can count that Peru trip again, work in a radiology depart.
    Honors: president's list, alpha chi honor society
    Leadership/other: leadership team at my school called (S.L.A.M. "servants leaders and mentors) dorm leader in-charge of 3-4 rooms with freshman mentoring, sigma kappa delta, chemistry/physics lab assistant

Is this competitive or just average.....or worse?
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. chad5871

chad5871 Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Portland, OR
    This post is better suited for our "What Are My Chances?" subforum. I am moving it there now.
  4. Scean

Scean whats a goon to a goblin? 7+ Year Member

Jan 2, 2007
    I think you are competitive, albeit not for top notch research institutions with no experience in that area. Stick to a broad app of solid schools and you'll get in. Not sure where you live but seems like a solid state school application.
  5. rockydoc

rockydoc 2+ Year Member

May 23, 2008
    Yeah I am def. not applying to top research schools. My residence is in CO but I go to school in Florida ( a tiny private one). My school list is:

Boston U
    Loma Linda
    Med Sch Wisconsin
    Rosalind Franklin
    St. Louis U
    U of Vermont
    U of CO
    U of South Florida (just b/c my school is freakin close to them and they may recognize it better)
    Wake Forest

does this look like a good plan (with good chances)?

much appreciated feedback
  6. Live4Life

Live4Life Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Apply more broadly, a lot of those schools are the private schools that recieve 10k+ applications so it really the luck of the draw to gain an acceptance. You have a solid application, and while the average matriculant stats are similar to yours at those schools, the shear volume of applicants reduces your chances of gaining an acceptance.
  7. rockydoc

rockydoc 2+ Year Member

May 23, 2008
    I agree...but what other schools take matriculants with similar numbers, in addition to a significant amount of OOS applicants? OOS is the big problem with that one. I kinda feel that those are just about all of the schools that fit that criteria for me. Are there any others you were thinking about?
  8. 3535

3535 2+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Definitely do New York Medical College
  9. rockydoc

rockydoc 2+ Year Member

May 23, 2008
    thanks for the info, I will add NY med...are you a student there?