competitiveness for chicago peds programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lmouse2488

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm currently an M3 (so far all Passes in core clerkships, currently on Peds rotation).
Step 1 = 208
signed up for Step 2 CK in early June..
I'm really interested in the following chicago peds programs: loyola, rush, northwestern, uchicago, christ, lgh, mt. sinai

basically i'm worried my step 1 score is low..that combined with my average/low average clerkship grades..should I be thinking about a different specialty if the geographical area (chicago) of my residency is important to me?

Northwestern and U of C are going to be tough with that Step 1 score and all passes in core clerkships. You really want to try and shoot for an honors in peds and try to get another couple high passes (or, even better, honors) in there...an improving trend is important. I'd also advise to take a peds sub-I early in 4th year and excel during that month.

Take Step 2 early and rock it.

Peds isn't very competitive to begin with and there are so many Chicago peds programs that you'll probably match at one. I doubt switching to another speciality would give you any benefit.

Rush is a great program, so is Christ, and Loyola as well. Just my humble opinion. I'd focus my efforts on those unless you start honoring everything and get a stellar Step 2 score. You could do a couple away rotations at these and see what you think?

Hope this helps

Northwestern and U of C are going to be tough with that Step 1 score and all passes in core clerkships. You really want to try and shoot for an honors in peds and try to get another couple high passes (or, even better, honors) in there...an improving trend is important. I'd also advise to take a peds sub-I early in 4th year and excel during that month.

Take Step 2 early and rock it.

Peds isn't very competitive to begin with and there are so many Chicago peds programs that you'll probably match at one. I doubt switching to another speciality would give you any benefit.

Rush is a great program, so is Christ, and Loyola as well. Just my humble opinion. I'd focus my efforts on those unless you start honoring everything and get a stellar Step 2 score. You could do a couple away rotations at these and see what you think?

Hope this helps

Agree with all of the above. However, from what I've heard, admins have mixed feelings about away rotations. If you're going to do an away you have to be an excellent medical student during it and it'd help to get an LOR. Aways can otherwise be an opportunity to shoot yourself in the foot.

Last edited: