Competitiveness of General Surgery (Navy HPSP)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackajack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the title says, I'm curious as to the competitiveness of getting into a GS residency straight through in the Navy with 4 year HPSP. Is a GMO tour most likely a "required factor" for GS?

Also, after completion of a GMO tour, do most apply to a surgical subspecialty instead of general surgery, since they now have more "points" for their application?

And I know this probably varies year by year, but in general, what are the most competitive surgical subspecialties in Navy med? Ortho and Ophtho?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Like the title says, I'm curious as to the competitiveness of getting into a GS residency straight through in the Navy with 4 year HPSP. Is a GMO tour most likely a "required factor" for GS?

Also, after completion of a GMO tour, do most apply to a surgical subspecialty instead of general surgery, since they now have more "points" for their application?

And I know this probably varies year by year, but in general, what are the most competitive surgical subspecialties in Navy med? Ortho and Ophtho?
Thanks in advance.

General Surgery straight through? One in three. GMO not a requirement, but likely.

Some apply for other surgical subspecialties, but they didn't want GS to begin with.

Ortho, Ophto, Urology all tend to be competitive.
Ortho and ENT have their own internships now.

General Surgery straight through? One in three. GMO not a requirement, but likely.

Some apply for other surgical subspecialties, but they didn't want GS to begin with.

Ortho, Ophto, Urology all tend to be competitive.
Ortho and ENT have their own internships now.

A fair number of PGY1 surgery interns go into rads and anaesthesia.