Competitiveness of OS in the Army?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wordsofradiance123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently saw that the Army is taking civilians off of match, and it got me thinking whether it will be a lot more competitive to get in? I’m a D3 retaking the CBSE in July and was wondering if there’s a “safe” score I should aim for? The first time I took it this February I didn’t really take it too seriously since I knew I was gonna retake. Besides that, I’m just a typical applicant. I’ll have done 1 externship and don’t really have any crazy extracurriculars. I’m just concerned since there seems to be fewer spots now (I think?)

Members don't see this ad.

I recently saw that the Army is taking civilians off of match, and it got me thinking whether it will be a lot more competitive to get in? I’m a D3 retaking the CBSE in July and was wondering if there’s a “safe” score I should aim for? The first time I took it this February I didn’t really take it too seriously since I knew I was gonna retake. Besides that, I’m just a typical applicant. I’ll have done 1 externship and don’t really have any crazy extracurriculars. I’m just concerned since there seems to be fewer spots now (I think?)
I don’t think they offer loan forgiveness, and you would have to pay back a lot of time after residency. Something to consider. Not sure competitiveness

I see. I'm an HPSP student so the loan forgiveness wouldn't apply. I'm just wondering if there are any program directors or current residents who have some knowledge on what CBSE score would be considered safe to get in. I saw from previous threads, people were saying to have a 55+ to be considered, and I'm just curious whether a 65-70 EPC would be considered almost guaranteed to get in as long as the rest of application is ok.

Members don't see this ad :)
always depends on the year you apply. My year they didnt have enough applicants ig and they accepted my friend who didnt even turn in a CBSE yet. Similar with AF, not enough ppl applied this year so they opened a second application for program starting in 3 months from now since it wasnt filled

always depends on the year you apply. My year they didnt have enough applicants ig and they accepted my friend who didnt even turn in a CBSE yet. Similar with AF, not enough ppl applied this year so they opened a second application for program starting in 3 months from now since it wasnt filled
Oh that's interesting and kind of encouraging. Do you know when residency apps open up? I feel like we aren't given much information about this stuff.

Oh that's interesting and kind of encouraging. Do you know when residency apps open up? I feel like we aren't given much information about this stuff.
Im not army so not certain but had like 3 friends do it. Varies depending on how many oral surgeons are retiring/separating every year but just ask the post grad dental program coordinator for more info