Competitiveness of Southern California programs

Started by dstone3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dstone3

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm looking to do 2 away rotations in Southern California and want to find some programs that I'd be competitive in when it comes to applying to programs later on. Can anyone give me some input on what programs are highly competitive versus those that are less competitive?

PS I'm primarily interested in university based programs
 
I gleaned this off another post which said that for reputation, the top ones are Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, Children's LA, and Oakland. Other programs that I've heard are great but aren't as well known: Harbor UCLA, Davis, Children's Orange County, and UCSD.

Anyone agree or disagree?
 
I should also point out that all California Peds programs are presumably relatively competitive because they're geographically desirable. In my humble opinion, you can't go wrong with the training you'll receive at most of the California programs from the southland (UCSD, Loma Linda, UCI/CHOC, UCLA, CHLA, LAC+USC, Harbor-UCLA, Kaiser So Cal) to Northern California (UC Davis, Children's Hospital Oakland, UCSF, Stanford, UCSF-Fresno, Kaiser Oakland).