MD Complete 180, need advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BartlebySee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in 2014 with a degree in Biology & Education Sciences. I was a mess! My gpa had slumped big time, and I had a couple of MCATs under my belt.

My story is long and convoluted by I was in an Early Assurance Program with a Medical School in my state. Wasn't able to meet the MCAT, and was cut out. Became very disillusioned with Medicine, thought I'd just go for Education, and let my grades become a bit average. But, then at graduation realized, I want to be a doctor, I always have, and that I wanted to change.

Immediately signed up for July MCAT. I had taken the MCAT 2x before, scored a 21, 25 respectively. This time I was determined, and was happy to score a 34 (12/12/10). Took MCAT in July, finished all Secondaries by end of August, received 2 interviews out of 12 schools and was waitlisted at both. (At the time, sGPA was a 3.40).

During my gap year, I worked as a Science Teacher in High School (Currently counting down the days until SUMMER!). I love the kids, and my entire PS this year is about how teaching has been a very transformative, and healing period for me. I went from a grossly overweight person at graduation (BMI of about 32...so obese even, yikes), and spent every day from the day after graduation to now working towards being a better person. BMI is down to 20, I play tennis competitively, and focus more on being a balanced person, rather than being sad about my future and prospects.

Taking a gap year is prob the best thing that's ever happened to me, and now I'm faced with TWO gap years! Which I'm OK with. Next year, I will be teaching at a Gymnasium, or grammar school, in Germany as a Fulbright ETA Scholar. Very excited about that. Interviews will be difficult, but I am game for it.

During my gap year, I also enrolled in a Premedical Studies Program at Harvard Extension School. They're all online classes, with tests taken at my local Kumon with proctors. I have taken 32 credits there, currently maintaining my 4.0 average

So my current stats are:
cGPA: 3.72 (Up from 3.65)
sGPA: 3.61 (Up from 3.40)
MCAT: 34 (Previous 21, 25)
Occupation: Public School Teacher, during time of app, Fulbright Scholar in Germany
LORs: Very strong
Volunteering: HIV/AIDS Counselor, Food Pantry Volunteer, and summers spent in Indonesia doing Aid work
Clinical: 400+ Hrs at Hospital as PEDS attendant, Shadowed 2 Doctors, one of which is an Ophthalmologist (what is what I want to pursue)
PS: Talks about Teaching, my immigrant experience, my entrepreneurial aspirations, and why I chose Medicine
EC's: Typical, Bio Club President, Newspaper Columnist, Honor Court Member, Resident Advisor
Research: Very strong with 2 publications in the field of STEM Education Studies

Schools (I am only applying to 20 schools)
  1. University of Virginia (In-state, #1)
  2. Virginia Commonwealth University (In-state)
  3. Virginia Tech (In-state)
  4. EVMS (In-state)
  5. Vermont
  6. Loyola Chicago
  7. Georgetown
  8. George Washington
  9. University of Pennsylvania
  10. Rosalind Franklin
  11. Tulane
  12. Wake Forest
  13. Northwestern
  14. NYMC
  15. Albert Einstein Yeshiva
  16. University of Washington
  17. MUSC
  18. USC (California, not Carolina)
  19. Dartmouth
  20. Duke

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations of the MCAT!
3 questions for you... Why would your PS be about teaching? how did teaching make you want to pursue medicine?
Also, you said your GPA has increased because of the online classes you have taken? Can you actually add those classes to your undergrad GPA without joining an official postbacc program?

3 questions for you... Why would your PS be about teaching? how did teaching make you want to pursue medicine?
Also, you said your GPA has increased because of the online classes you have taken? Can you actually add those classes to your undergrad GPA without joining an official postbacc program?
If you are looking for GPA redemption you are going to want to avoid online classes.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you are looking for GPA redemption you are going to want to avoid online classes.

So the HES Premedical Program is pretty good about placement. It's not online in the sense that I take my exams online, Harvard Medical School actually provides a Letter of Recommendation explaining that. And, all of the schools on my list, I called and asked their perception of HES before I paid them like 10K for my premed credits. Every school said they've accepted students from HES and that it is looked up favorably, so in that sense, I am not nervous about it, and yes I have already added those courses to my AMCAS.

I will add that as a full-time teacher, I don't have the luxury of taking off a year to pursue a post-bacc program, it's just not a financially feasible option for me. So, HES was a blessing. I was able to keep my day job, and pursue an avenue to improve my GPA in the evenings.

To address teaching, my PS is about teaching because I am a teacher. It was through teaching my students that I found the type of career I wanted in life. It's a nice PS, I've had it vetted over and over again. It talks about me as a teacher, which I think is a unique sell in the Premed game, and goes into how I see those skills transferring into a medical career.

Thanks! The MCAT was a beast.

I'd appreciate an evaluation of my chances.

I suggest
  4. EVMS (In-state)
  5. Vermont
  6. Loyola Chicago
  7. Rosalind Franklin
  8. Tulane
  9. Wake Forest
  10. Case
  11. NYMC
  12. Albert Einstein Yeshiva
  13. Hofstra
  14. Dartmouth
  15. Duke
  16. BU
  17. Albany
  18. U Miami
  19. Any DO school. statrt with VCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM
  20. any of the Philly Triplets

[/QUOTE]

I suggest
  4. EVMS (In-state)
  5. Vermont
  6. Loyola Chicago
  7. Rosalind Franklin
  8. Tulane
  9. Wake Forest
  10. Case
  11. NYMC
  12. Albert Einstein Yeshiva
  13. Hofstra
  14. Dartmouth
  15. Duke
  16. BU
  17. Albany
  18. U Miami
  19. Any DO school. statrt with VCOM. I can't recommend LUCOM
  20. any of the Philly Triplets
[/QUOTE]

In reference to 20, doesn't Jefferson average?

Also how about UT-Austin. I hear they take a 10% OOS...5/50 doesn't sound awful to me.

You'll need to do your homework and seek out those schools that don't avg.

In reference to 20, doesn't Jefferson average?

I wouldn't risk it with the multiple MCATs. I don't think you're in the top 10% of applicants to go for a TX school. And normally, most people tend to shy away from new schools, but Austin is a place where a LOT of people want to go! Hell, I loved Austin whenever I visited it! One of the few places in TX that seemed to lack that character known as the "good ol' boy".

Also how about UT-Austin. I hear they take a 10% OOS...5/50 doesn't sound awful to me.

I like @Goro's list (except for Duke).
So Duke's a no go? Because it's definitely one of my top choices.

Also, I have a really soft spot for Northwestern, I worked at a research lab there for 3 summers and fell in love. Are my chance so off that I shouldn't waste my $$$?

So Duke's a no go? Because it's definitely one of my top choices.

Also, I have a really soft spot for Northwestern, I worked at a research lab there for 3 summers and fell in love. Are my chance so off that I shouldn't waste my $$$?
Your $. The students I have had co-accepted by Duke are all 36+ MCAT on a single try...
I have an occasional 35 ( single try) co-accepted at NW.

Your $. The students I have had co-accepted by Duke are all 36+ MCAT on a single try...
I have an occasional 35 ( single try) co-accepted at NW.
The only reason I'm a bit hesitant to take this to heart is...how many people take the MCAT multiple times for there to be a valid enough sample size?

I think I'm going to go ahead and try Northwestern and Duke, and possibly waste my money, and update this thread and let y'all know.

In the meantime, other chances would be helpful.

While I would love to live in Austin, I agree that I am not the best candidate for that school.

The only reason I'm a bit hesitant to take this to heart is...how many people take the MCAT multiple times for there to be a valid enough sample size?
A boatload. That's why I specified.
Do update us, though!

Last edited by a moderator: